Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What order should I go in and with what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:23 AM

What order should I go in and with what?

I need organization help and suggestions

ok so on my list of crap for proformance/engine related things are, brakes, suspension, new engine, rear end, transmission cooler, radiator and fan/fans.

i was originally thinking to do the brakes first, but I have drums in the back and i'd want 4 discs when i change them, a better time to do that would be when I do the rear end?

For the suspension I dont even know what I want other than a steering brace/wonder bar. But I'd like to make it feel tougher overall. As it is over bumps or hills and things like that it feels bouncy and kinda loose.

And as I have never welded and dont have a welder, what can I do for bolting on suspension stuff?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 02:41 AM

Re: What order should I go in and with what?

I would do the disc conversion along with the rearend, especially if you can get a used rearend with the disc brake option already on it. As for the suspension, you dont need a welder to do installations, the only thing I can think you would need a welder for is if you were trying to save some money and "boxed" your stock lower control arms and panhard rod yourself. Otherwise, I would look into some solid aftermarket lower control arms, panhard rod, front and rear sway bars, and a good set of shocks.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:21 AM

so after market lower control arms but upper control arms are fine?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:46 AM

Sorry, I was referring to the rear suspension that just has lower control arms.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:22 AM

ok, then i shouldnt worry about the front? that combo would tighten harden up the feel when driving?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:51 AM

Not necessarily, new bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends will liven up the front end assuming the parts have never been changed in the vehicle's 16 yrs. of age.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:59 AM

I saw bayers thread and he was recommended to get hollow sway bars, I only see solid ones for my generation, should i look for a hollow one?

anyone know if theres a supporting vendor that carrys a kit to redo teh bushings and stuff for the front suspension?

Sphon has some low prices compared to the other brands is it a good deal or just cheap?

The questions ccontinue! lol Like to get some solid ideas, got 2 weeks vacation to mess around with this car if i can decide on some purchases.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
I saw bayers thread and he was recommended to get hollow sway bars, I only see solid ones for my generation, should i look for a hollow one?

anyone know if theres a supporting vendor that carrys a kit to redo teh bushings and stuff for the front suspension?

Sphon has some low prices compared to the other brands is it a good deal or just cheap?

The questions ccontinue! lol Like to get some solid ideas, got 2 weeks vacation to mess around with this car if i can decide on some purchases.
Yes Spohn is a very good company, great quality and they are a few bucks cheaper than alot of the competition.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF

Though they're not a supporting vendor, PST shoudl carry a kit with all of the bushings you need.

http://www.p-s-t.com/
Old 09-22-2005, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys, now anyone got the answer for the swaybars?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:26 PM

I may be wrong, but I believe the point of hollow sway bars is to achieve the best of both worlds so to speak. That is to run a larger diameter swaybar but keep the overall weight of the bar at a minimum.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I may be wrong, but I believe the point of hollow sway bars is to achieve the best of both worlds so to speak. That is to run a larger diameter swaybar but keep the overall weight of the bar at a minimum.

They are different over the years though? like a 4th gen sway bar wont fit on a 3rd gen?
Old 09-23-2005, 11:16 AM

Bushings would be very wise. But the loose feeling on bumps over hills is, like most cases, because you dampers (shocks and struts on a 3rd gen) are junk. The result, a car that just kind of hunts and bobs around all the time, doesn't track very well and generally feels like a boat in the water with the soft, squishy reactions.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:54 PM

Ok getting confused with shocks and struts

looking at a blistein shock and thunder racing has rear ones and a front strut

they have tokico/tokiko shocks for front and back

are there struts in the front only? Is it best to do shocks and struts together?

Do I need any special tools to install shocks, struts, steering brace, panhard bar, swaybars?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:40 PM

Also looking at control arms and shocks, these are sold in singles most places right?

Think I'll go with the control arms, panhard rod and some shocks, only sway bars i can find that are hollow cost almost 500 bucks for front and rear.

Quick Reply: What order should I go in and with what?