Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

At what rwhp level do you think SFCs become necessary to prevent frame twisting

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 10:13 PM

At what rwhp level do you think SFCs become necessary to prevent frame twisting

Assuming a street driven car, some weekend canyon carving and an occassional trip to the dragstrip on sticky tires...
Old 09-04-2004, 10:42 PM

Re: At what rwhp level do you think SFCs become necessary to prevent frame twisting

With t-tops or a vert, it would be the first thing I did to the car. I added some to my 97 less then a month after I got it, and made a noticeable diff.
If you want the suspension to work to it's fullest, you need to remove all the chassis flex. SFC and strut tower braces are pretty much 1st things on the list.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:57 PM

Re: At what rwhp level do you think SFCs become necessary to prevent frame twisting

for 200 bucks get them anyways, they make a noticable difference all over the place. I prefer the double diamond ones myself.

but I think with enough traction stock could twist the frame.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:41 PM

I'd say stock form they need the SFC's... 3rd gens crack on the pass. side somewhere behind the door, if twisted.. Stockers will twist.. Wait a few more years and most 4th gens without SFC's will probably start cracking.. You will most likely start seeing it more and more...
Old 09-09-2004, 02:48 AM

near stock power levels will benefit from SFC's. Night and day difference in my convertible after the KBDD install... several other race team members metioned the same (but slightly less) effect on their t-tops and coupes.

I don't think it's so much a hp level, as it is a "use of car" idea. If you auto-cross you'll be putting yourself in some STEEP competition by doing this (you get bumped up fast for a chasis mod like this), but for daily driving or drag racing it's a easy choice IMO.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:07 AM

Well our totally stock 98 SS M-6, t-top car, on street tires has 3 little dimples on the rear quarter panels from hard shifting at the track. Sure wish I'd have done SFCs right away.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:18 PM

Low 12's for the past 2 seasons, and high 12's for the 2 previous seasons. 1.67 60 ft. times, on MT ET Streets....I still don't have connectors on the car, and haven't noticed any ill effects from it...but...My car is a hardtop

There's launch pictures on my web page...
http://www.geocities.com/max_wylde/cahallracing.html

Frank
Old 09-11-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 12SCNDZ
Low 12's for the past 2 seasons, and high 12's for the 2 previous seasons. 1.67 60 ft. times, on MT ET Streets....I still don't have connectors on the car, and haven't noticed any ill effects from it...but...My car is a hardtop

There's launch pictures on my web page...
http://www.geocities.com/max_wylde/cahallracing.html

Frank
looks like you have love dimples above the rear wheels though...
Old 09-12-2004, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
near stock power levels will benefit from SFC's. Night and day difference in my convertible after the KBDD install... several other race team members metioned the same (but slightly less) effect on their t-tops and coupes.

I don't think it's so much a hp level, as it is a "use of car" idea. If you auto-cross you'll be putting yourself in some STEEP competition by doing this (you get bumped up fast for a chasis mod like this), but for daily driving or drag racing it's a easy choice IMO.
* Weld vs Bolt-on?
* KBDD or SLP
* What is the best method to install SFC's on a '95 comvertible with almost 57K miles? * Loaded suspension or Leveled frame for the installation of the SFC's? My concern is if the frame is already twisted over 57K miles and the SFC's are installed with the car sitting on its suspension won't the frame be permanently twisted? Wouldn't it be better to level the frame, without sitting on the suspension, and install the SFC's?
* These are meant to be questions and not answers. I am planning on buying and installing SFC's as soon as I decide what SFC's and how to install them. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Xride
looks like you have love dimples above the rear wheels though...
Um...Nope...Haven't noticed a dimple, ripple, or wave.

Frank
Old 09-12-2004, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 12SCNDZ
Um...Nope...Haven't noticed a dimple, ripple, or wave.

Frank
My times and passes are about the same as Franks and no dimples for me either. Also a hardtop car. but when I added some power last winter I added light weight tubular subs and a 5 point. Now running mid 11s.

On the other hand our 98 SS t-top M6 car has dimples on both rear 1/4s and it's never been on stickies.