Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What shocks to get...So many options

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 09:02 PM

What shocks to get...So many options

Ok im getting my car a Christmas present, and im needing new shocks pretty bad, but cant decide what to go with. My options are Bilsteins, AGX, or QA1's or anything inbetween. Ive heard konis were good, but they seem to be extremly expensive, but also heard something about yellow konis, and saw a package that was labeled, "bilsteins/konis";what are they all about? The car may be lowered in the future if this matters, i want something that is adjustable also and less than $600-650. I was set on the AGX's but did some reading on here and heard they werent all that great and i was having a hard time finding them as well. So give me your opinions on what to get and where to get them. When reading about the QA1's i saw where sometimes you had to buy these spacers to use on the front ones to make the stock springs work. I dont want anything that is real complicated that when i go to install i am missing pieces, and want to do it right the first time. So PLEASE help me out guys!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:34 PM

Re: What shocks to get...So many options

Check with Sam Strano at Stranoparts.com; he's the F-Body handling expert!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:46 PM

I was searching through previous posts on the subject and i came up with that web site yesturday, checked it out, and it didnt seem to help much. There wasn't anything to describe the products nor pictures to even see what your getting Thats where i saw the koni/bil. package at, but had no clue what it was suppost to be. Anyone got suggestions on what and where to get some good shocks?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1995greenTA
I was searching through previous posts on the subject and i came up with that web site yesturday, checked it out, and it didnt seem to help much. There wasn't anything to describe the products nor pictures to even see what your getting Thats where i saw the koni/bil. package at, but had no clue what it was suppost to be. Anyone got suggestions on what and where to get some good shocks?
First off, pictures tell you nothing. Second, we have a tech-line specifically designed to answer questions like this. But for some reason everyone wants to know everything right now, and on-line. I hate to say it, but you will never get clear answers relying on e-mails and message boards.

Where to get good shocks...... Well, OBE1 95Z28 pointed you to me. You've been to my site and know that I sell a variety of shocks. Yet you are still looking. That's fine and I'm certainly not offended, but it seems your looking for something that tells you all you need to know. That information is never the same for any two people. Which shocks you want, or should consider is way more complex than that. I suggest if you want answers you take the time to call me. I'll be happy to explain what's up.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 01 FS Z28
First off, pictures tell you nothing. Second, we have a tech-line specifically designed to answer questions like this. But for some reason everyone wants to know everything right now, and on-line. I hate to say it, but you will never get clear answers relying on e-mails and message boards.

Where to get good shocks...... Well, OBE1 95Z28 pointed you to me. You've been to my site and know that I sell a variety of shocks. Yet you are still looking. That's fine and I'm certainly not offended, but it seems your looking for something that tells you all you need to know. That information is never the same for any two people. Which shocks you want, or should consider is way more complex than that. I suggest if you want answers you take the time to call me. I'll be happy to explain what's up.

With all do respect..Pictures would help in this case. It would help by identifying what exactly you're selling. Also, I don't see any other websites with such vague discriptions of products being sold as the one i was previously linked to.

I'm not looking for something that tells me all I need to know. Im looking for suggestions and experiences of other people who have been in the same position as I am. Just like everyone does on this board when they post a thread asking " what catback is best? " or " what gears should I run in my rear end? " It's all opinions based on the given information about the car and the driving habbits. My car isn't a daily driver, but it rarely sees the track. I would rather it be set up for drag racing then road/auto x though. The rest of the suspension is stock for the moment being, but will probably be modified
in the future to result in better launches from the car.

Again this post is in no way meant to disrespect you or your web-site.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1995greenTA
With all do respect..Pictures would help in this case. It would help by identifying what exactly you're selling. Also, I don't see any other websites with such vague discriptions of products being sold as the one i was previously linked to.

I'm not looking for something that tells me all I need to know. Im looking for suggestions and experiences of other people who have been in the same position as I am. Just like everyone does on this board when they post a thread asking " what catback is best? " or " what gears should I run in my rear end? " It's all opinions based on the given information about the car and the driving habbits. My car isn't a daily driver, but it rarely sees the track. I would rather it be set up for drag racing then road/auto x though. The rest of the suspension is stock for the moment being, but will probably be modified
in the future to result in better launches from the car.

Again this post is in no way meant to disrespect you or your web-site.
Well, I disagree that pics matter here. They are shocks that are specific the car. And FWIW, most pictures you see on any site of, lets say "shocks" are rarely the actual part for the car you are looking up. I could put pictures up, but the time I spend doing that is time I cannot interact with and answer customer's questions. Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather do that.

The descriptions are always vauge, and it's not just us. There is no way to describe all the information I know. Just do a seach for my screen name and shocks and you'll see what I mean. Again, websites are good IMHO for general information only. They tell you that Koni's and KYB's are adjustable, which makes them seem very similar, but they cannot in anyway explain what are HUGE functional differences between them.

When folks ask what cat-back is best, did you notice you only get a number of differing opinons? This is no different.

I understand what you are wanting. I'm just saying it's not practical, and I'm more interested in actually answering real questions than typing a sales pitch.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:50 PM

Alright well thanks for the replys, Ill try to get ahold of you this weekend or this coming week to get some idea of what I'm wanting/needing from a pros. point of veiw