Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What shocks for my BMR Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 03:11 PM

What shocks for my BMR Lowering Springs

Just wondering what shocks I should be looking for. I know Adjustables such as HAL QA1 or Konis would be ideal but they may be a little to expensive. Ive heard the SLP Bilsteins are good for lowered cars is that correct? Also any other shocks I should be looking into?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:12 PM

Re: What shocks for my BMR Lowering Springs

I'm currently running Bilstein HD's with my BMR springs

As soon as I have enough $$ saved up, I'm upgrading to Koni SA's
Old 11-02-2005, 12:27 AM

How did the suspension feel with the HD's as opposed to OEM
Old 11-02-2005, 07:54 AM

The QA1's are designed for the coil-over springs, not a standard spring like the BMR lowering springs.

I've heard great things about the Bilstein HD's though.

I have QA1's and love them.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:19 AM

I have the HDs and they are great for street use. I autoX mine as well, and they perform surprisingly well for the money. If you're just daily driving I would definitely recommend them...
Old 11-02-2005, 11:39 AM

There are a number of shocks you *could* run... There are few that you *should* run.
Bilstein HD's are popular because they are good quality and inexpensive. However, they are not and have never been built for use with lowering springs. Can you do it? Yes. Should you? No. When new things are ok, but you still have a little lack of rebound control, after all HD's are meant for stock springs which are about half as stiff in the front. But when every thing is new the lack of damping is minimized. But as miles and time wear on the shocks loosen up and become overwhelmed by the spring rate. Many say this isn't true. Of course many don't realize what's shock vs. springs and can't imagine how bad something is until they experience something better.

Bottom line, Bilstein themselves on page 1 on their catalog tell you HD's are "not suitable" for lowered cars.

There are folks out there who have switched from HD's to Koni's and Revalved Bilstein's on their lowering springs. They are people you need to as for a comparison. Further to prove how important proper shocks are vs. springs (and the mis-understanding that the car NEEDS to have stiffer springs), there are also folks out there who have removed lowering springs for stock ones and installed better shocks at the same time. The results are amazing. Folks suddenly realize the car feels floaty and a little wandering because of a lack of rebound control and not a lack of spring rate.

Shocks are spring dampers. DO NOT team shocks that are not meant for lowered cars with lowering springs. Better than stock? Sure, but only because stock is so poor to start with.

To finish... SLP Bilstein's are meant for their Level 1 springs which are softer than your BMR's. They are stiffer on rebound in front (better, but not enough for you springs), but softer in compression (bad as it controls unsprung weight which isn't lighter than stock and the compression is far from to hard to start with). The rears are EXACTLY HD's, no change at all. And SLP's are all the same.

"Revalves" that we do are not. They are built on a case by case basis to handle the spring rate in use. I felt this needed done as Bilstein failed to build a Sport valving as they do for most other cars, and I felt it's needed. But I'm not big enough to have hundreds of shocks built at a time like they are. That's an advantage because you don't get saddled with a one-size-fits-all damper.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:11 PM

So what would be the options that you Should run for a lowered car?
Please list:
Old 11-02-2005, 03:12 PM

Basically all I have so far is that Bilsteins HD will work but arent Ideal.

Revalves would possibly be better but how do I go about doing that. I want this to be somewhat inexpensive seeing as how my parents are doing this for an Xmas gift for me.

Any other input?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:37 PM

In order from most to least desireable for lowering spring control:

Koni Sports
Revalved Bilstein
KYB AGX's
SLP Bilstein
Bilstein HD

In order from most to least desireable for ride comfort:

Koni Sports
Revalved Bilstein
SLP Bilstein
Bilstein HD
KYB AGX

I can't tell you which you should run without discussing a number of things with you, such your idea of "ride" and "handling" which are all different to different people (and you'd be amazed at how different). Also spoken about are the spring rates, the use of the car, and what specifically you'd like to improve about the car. Without all that it's tough to pick any shock, but it's easy to say Koni overall because of the huge range of adjustment available to damp heavy springs or ride well with soft springs and the shocks turned down, the ability to tune to your tastes. KYB AGX's are also adjustable, but aren't as nice. They link bump and rebound together, so if you want more rebound to control your car movement, you drag the bump along as well, and that results in a harsher ride than a Koni at a similiar damping setting. Also, KYB's have detents and often folks wish for a setting in between, which you can't do. Koni's have no detents, so you never find yourself where you don't want to be. QA1's are adjustable, but are just pretty poor dampers. Not even gas charged to help with oil cavitation, and uses a very, very basis adjuster that does not account for the velocity of the shock. Basically good drag shocks, not good handling or ride shocks. Drag racing and handling are 180 degrees from each other in regard to shocks.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:53 PM

Wow. I guess I left a lot out of my orignal post. To me ride (meaning how harsh it feels if I hit a bump/pothole etc) isnt very important. Its a sports car, Im a kid, I can take a little jolting.

However handling is very important to me, going into corners somewhat fast and not feeling like the car is going to skid out. It currently doesnt feel like it is going to, but I know it can only get better with new shocks. My existing shocks have atleast 30k on them and who knows how many more than that. I know this because Ive done 30K since I bought it. But Im guessing it reality its probably close to 70k.

Im going to have to look into the KYB AGX's as well as how much revalving bilstiens will cost. Where can I look at the KYB's?

And if you could estimate a cost for all.

I know the Bilstein HD's are roughly 340
How much would the Revalved ones cost? And where would i get a revalve done?
KYBs?
Konis?

Thanks so much for the help
Old 11-02-2005, 04:13 PM

I sell all of those shocks, every single one of them, and can explain what you want and why. And you cannot, CAN NOT get solid information off the web. Great for basics, terrible for details.

I can't give out pricing here, as I hang out on this board more to help than anything. And I won't overstep those advertising bounds on this board. However, all that information is available to you on the other end of the phone.

And FWIW, a harsh ride generally hurts handling. Brick stiff is bad when the road is not smooth, and since you already have your springs, a lot of that is pre-determined.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:54 PM

To Add, my car very rarely sees a 1/4 mile track, once a year if that, so launching isnt a very main concern.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:47 PM

Sam..

What settings would you recommend on the Koni SA's to match the BMR springs?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatpride
Sam..

What settings would you recommend on the Koni SA's to match the BMR springs?

Thanks
Well, that varies by person, and is something I discuss in depth with customers when deciding on dampers, but most folks seem to end up about 2/3 stiff in front, and full soft to 1/3 up in the rear..... But you have Bilstein's according to you sig, so I'm a little confused.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 01 FS Z28
Well, that varies by person, and is something I discuss in depth with customers when deciding on dampers, but most folks seem to end up about 2/3 stiff in front, and full soft to 1/3 up in the rear..... But you have Bilstein's according to you sig, so I'm a little confused.
Yes, I'm currently running the HD's. By around Christmas time I should have enough money set aside for the Koni's so I was just asking in advance. Sorry about the confusion.

Chris

Quick Reply: What shocks for my BMR Lowering Springs