Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:18 AM

We have no-name springs of unknown rate and material quality. We have shocks that are just stock replacements, and are ok for that but not for control. It's kind of like wanting to cook a great meal, but closing your eyes and pouring in whatever ingredients you happen to grab.

Here's a tip... Ignore the manufactuer's sales hype. Every company who makes a product is out to sell said product, they aren't going to say: "Cheap ______, not very good, but you get what you pay for....."

Understand how a car works, and that's a great help.

Frankly 3rd gens are hard to lower and ride decently. The 3rd gen front suspension, as Korry (sorry, damned screen-names, I mean Chewbacca) mentioned isn't a great design for ride. The cars are sensitive to ride height, and most springs for 3rd gens don't add enough rate for the drop you get, so your bumpstops become defacto springs most of the time. Then you add dampers not up for the job, and the ride gets worse because they can't control (damp) the movements associated with the lowering, or the higher spring rates.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks Strano...and everyone else

Woah! What a wealth of info! Thanks all of you for the advice.
Strano, you said the modified strut front end causes these cars to "crash over sharp bumps", because of "stiction". Do you mean the spring and strut kind of fight for their arc of travel, therefore binding at some points?
I had it all wrong, the modified strut style LOOKS like it would be awesome, it combines a traditional front-end with a strut style, and the shock towers aren't carrying the spring load. I never thought it would contribute to a harsh ride.
You mentioned Koni or Bilstein struts for a better ride. I guess I should sell the new GR2's (and my slightly used rears).
Old 12-03-2007, 02:23 PM

Blooper

It was Chewbacca who mentioned the modified strut susp. Sorry 'bout that. Strano mentioned the cars don't like to be lowered. Now, I don't want the car up in the air, but stock height isn't too bad. I was getting so pissed, wondering why the damn car rode so harsh, when it was easier to push down on than my brother's '93 Grand Am, and his car rides pretty good!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM

I was getting really upset with this car. I couldn't understand how my friend's '78 Malibu has Hotchkis springs and kyb's, and I like the ride, firm but "takes the bumps with a little grace." I knew about suspensions, but I can see there's more to it, in subtle ways...