Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What Suspension Firsts???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:44 PM

Re: What Suspension Firsts???

You guys are great.

Alright so then I will probably get revalved Bilsteins with, what was it, the Eiback Pro-Kit or the Eibach Sportlines? Bushings from either Spohn or Energy Suspension, with a stock type bushing for the caster. Upper shock mount, and if there is enough cash left, sway bars.

What size sway bars would be good for my handling characteristics?? If I can't afford the sway arms I might do SFC's.

Thanks again guys, the more responses the better.

Carlos
Old 03-06-2006, 01:05 PM

get the pro-kit the sportline springs are too low. The Energy Suspension torque arm bushing is really better.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:58 PM

Thanks Rick. Sounds good.

I was going to get someone to do my suspension for me, but i'm going to give it a go. I have two spare cars to use while my Camaro is out on service. I hope all this won't be too difficult.

Carlos
Old 03-06-2006, 06:43 PM

MHO.... the man just needs to get things back to normal and put some decent shocks on the car. Carlos has e-mailed me and I asked him to call. But I'm seeing responses all over the place here and it's a bit comical.

ANYTHING he does to the suspension (and FWIW the chassis is not the suspension, and SFC's are chassis parts) will be a HUGE, *HUGE* improvement.

Replace the bushings. Use rubber. Put on some good shocks (Bilstein HD @ minimum with stock springs, something more if you are going to lowering springs). Re-assess the situation and prepare to be amazed at the difference. Not saying you might not want to go on.... I am saying you are starting with something so, so poor that you don't need to go crazy to realize immensely better performance (and ride).
Old 03-06-2006, 08:54 PM

Hey i just bought a 94 z28 with 64000 miles an a A4, i was thinking really hard about Sub Frame Connectors as a first mod, condisering the car is comptely stock, everything, nothing has been touched. Any that are good? I want the best. Nothing cheap. I was condsidering these 3 point SFC's from UMI Performance, anyone have these or heard anything about them, all input is thanked. http://www.umiperformance.com/2003.aspx

Thanks.

-1994 Z28 Black A4
Old 03-07-2006, 11:24 AM

Absolutely not.... SFC's are not at all bad, but the chassis's are NOT that weak. I have customers with over 200k miles (and one over 350k miles on a '96) that don't have SFCs and have no issue.

Fix the suspension, not the chassis first. The suspension is what works over bumps and such. It's the first line of "defense" and action. The chassis loosens up largely because of impacts that get through the lousy stock suspension parts (mostly shocks) and create havoc. Fact is those things shouldn't get to the uni-body in the first place....
Old 03-07-2006, 12:25 PM

I personally believe SFC's should be the absolute #1 mod done to any 3rd and 4th gen f-body! Once you get them installed (only get them welded) the feel is night and day. The car feels so much more rigid and tight. There's a reason why 3rd gen. hardtops develop cracks on the roof behind the upper door glass corner and why 4th gens get dimples on the upper rear quarters next to the hatch glass. These cars flex....and until you get SFC's installed you have no clue how much they flex.
I know it's "technically" a chassis mod and not suspension, but they definitely affect the feel of the car. Of course if you have that many miles on the car your first priority should be maintenance (replacing worn out items)...once everything is up to par then start with the mods.

- Joel
Old 03-07-2006, 12:33 PM

And what I don't see in your sig are shocks.

First, I run these cars, and run them hard. I have had 3rd and 4th gens both. And FWIW, comparing a 4th gen to a 3rd gen is a joke, the structure of the 4th gen is sooo much stronger than a 3rd gen.....

Bottom line, the cars do not fall apart without SFC's. The 4th gen was designed from the start to be a convertible too.

There are many folks who have experienced how shocks change things for the better, so have even REMOVED SFC's after having them and when they have GOOD shocks, more than one person has remarked they didn't even miss them. You act as if the car is a wet egg-noodle driving down the road. It is not. Can you make is stiffer? Sure, but you can do that to ANY car. Never the less chassis is not a replacement for poor suspension.

YMMV, and I'm not at all saying SFCs are bad things. I sell them from a number of companies including UMI, SLP, Hotchkis, and others. I *AM* saying that they are NOT the first move.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:36 PM

Thanks Sam. I'll be calling the tech line today. I would feel kind of sad if I had to replace the suspension items with stock items before I could mod the suspension to something better than stock. I don't think that's what your saying. Anyway, I'll be calling today. Thanks everyone for your replies and help.

Carlos