Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What Suspension Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:43 PM

What Suspension Upgrades?

I have a Spohn tunnel mounted torque arm and have a little extra money to spend on some more suspension parts and am thinking LCAs and SFCs. But I found on one of the vendors sites that I can get UMI LCAs and a nonadjustable PHB for around $165, but is a nonadjustable worth it?

I'm also going to get relocation brackets and new shocks and springs a little down the road, but I'm just wondering what should be done first. I know I will need SFCs and was planning on getting LCAs too, but which is better PHB or LCAs?

Also should I just save my money for a roll cage and skip the SFCs? I was planning on getting a wolfe bolt-in cage if my car runs too fast, but I'm not really trying to build a drag car, more of a best of both worlds autoX/drag car/nice day cruiser

Sorry for the confusing post but what suspension upgrades should be done first to help with traction and driveability?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:56 PM
VK

LCAs will REALLY help with straight line traction, they will make your tires bite!

SFC will stiffen your suspension, helping cornering but hurt straight-line since your car will refuse to flex or twist (same reason people remove the front anti-sway bar.

PHB, you don't need an adjustable one unless you plan to lower the car, the stock one can flex and shift your rear end side to side. Either way it helps stop the suspension geomitry from mis-alignment

Torque-arm, Helps straight line traction.

roll cage, stiffens up the car, but only put in the car to pass safety rules. 11.49 seconds and faster says NHRA.

Where in Wisconsin are you located?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 PM

QA1.,.. love mine
Old 04-23-2007, 09:11 PM

I actually live in Muscoda or about 35-45 minutes from you.

I think I'm going to get UMI or J&M tubular SFCs and J&M or Spohn LCAs and start out with that. I would really like to get the Wolfe bolt-in cage, but I don't have enough money for that right now so maby after my CPT tranny that will go in this winter.

I still have to pay for the motor machining and a few small odds and ends like spark plugs and a few sensors that I messed up removing the motor, but I should have enough for at least LCAs and SFCs. I do plan on lowering the car with hotchkis springs (1") when I get new struts, but that will be in a few months

But keep responding, let me know what you would have done if you could do your car over knowing how much these things can get out of hand (as far as building goes)
Old 04-23-2007, 09:11 PM
VK

Originally Posted by Klypto
QA1.,.. love mine

What does that have to do with what he asked about?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Klypto
QA1.,.. love mine
???? Coilovers? Mabye someday, but I can't afford them right now
Old 04-23-2007, 09:13 PM
VK

No engine in the car?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by VK
No engine in the car?
Not right now, and I'm not planning on putting the SFCs in until the motor is done and installed Just incase thats what you were wondering
Old 04-23-2007, 11:19 PM
VK

Well, if ya need any help or a shop to do some work in gimme a call.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by VK
Well, if ya need any help or a shop to do some work in gimme a call.
No problem man, right now I think I have everything figured out but if not I'll be in touch

You ever come to richland center at all? I mostly hang out there and there are a few guys with cars...99 Trans Am, 99 Lightning, 79 Firebird, 95 Firebird, and a few others that I'm probably forgetting but we are trying to get together at least once a week and just going on a cruise and hang out. Mabye we'll cruise up there once my car gets put back together
Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM
VK

I think i got up there once last year. Once i get my car back together i'll be doing alot of cruise'n around. Got alot of people that wanna see my setup this year.