Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Whats everyones opinion on GW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 07:56 PM

Whats everyones opinion on GW?

Whats up guys. One of my co worker's is building up a 71 camaro and a mid 60s goat with over 600hp. He swears by Global West and is using them pretty much exclusively for his cars. Taking his advice I already have the LCAs and PHB from them. Seem ok to me, but I don't have anything to compare them with either. They don't seem well known in modern car applications and their site is less professional then others, not that that neccesarily means anything since they seem to go into more depth in explaining the math and physics of their parts and what they actually do.

My plan with my car is suspension first ( Have a Strano 35mm bar on order right now) and my next step will probaly be the TA, and after that work on the front upper and lower control arms. I figure that these companies build all their parts to work together with one another so I'd rather have one "system" I guess instead of a mish mash of differant brand parts if I can help it.

I'm already hearing mixed reviews on the traclink when I did a search, and no mention really of their other parts. Anyone else run their other, rarer parts (Up and Low Cont arms,etc) and what do you think of their quality? They are also pretty pricey when compared to BMR, Spohn, etc., but I don't mind paying more for something that is markedly better in comparison.

While I like straight line capability, I love the turns so I'd sacrifice some drag performance to add some handling.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:52 AM

Re: Whats everyones opinion on GW?

I've put their sub-frame connectors under my car after a friend installed them under his Firebird and liked them. They were also recommended by a another friend who used to work for GMMG (he's the one who actually welded them on). They fit great and you can't see them without putting your head under the car.

I've also got their rear lower control arms and adjustable panhard bar on my Z/28. I looked at several brands before I bought these and they seemed at least as good, if not better, than most I saw. I haven't drag raced since they were installed, but I have autocrossed and done a track day at Road Atlanta. I've been pleased with the way they've performed.

I bought my stuff from Year One, so I've never dealt with GW directly.

Last edited by b55baron; 08-08-2005 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 08-08-2005, 01:36 PM
nfa

I have GW upper control arms with del-a-lum bushings on my z28. The build quality is excellent, but their customer service is terrible. Slow shipping time and an indifferent attitude towards their customers once they get your credit card info.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:59 PM

yeah i felt the same way when i was talking to them, and it took almost 3 weeks to Get my stuff. so general consensus though is that they carry good stuff. thanks, i wasn't sure whether to go with them or another place that is more dedicated to making f body only stuff.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by nfa
I have GW upper control arms with del-a-lum bushings on my z28. The build quality is excellent, but their customer service is terrible. Slow shipping time and an indifferent attitude towards their customers once they get your credit card info.
Exact same experience. They really seem to know their stuff technically, but if they don't have the part you want in stock, be prepared to wait. When I ordered my upper control arms, I was told three times that they should "ship by the end of the week" took about a month before I finally got them in.

The product seems to be of excellent quality, but I don't really have anything to compare them to (BMR, Spohn, et. al.).
Old 08-09-2005, 08:16 PM

I know their STB for the 4th gen is very substantial. The tubing used is the largest I have seen and it would have connected on the more inside bolts of the strut tower and tuck nicely onder the cowl to run across the bay. Great design, I just couldn't get the thing to fit. Luckily it was used and the guy took it back.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 PM

How do their torque arms compare? I like how theirs mount in the trans tunnel. I had a Spohn several years ago, and the cross bar that the arm attaches to hangs way too low for me. I had problems getting in and out of driveways, and it was the lowest point on the car, and in the center to boot. So how do you guys like the Global West TA?

Nick