Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Whats the life on spherical bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 02:26 PM

Whats the life on spherical bearings?

I must be doing something right because this is the second time I've busted the spherical bearing on my LCAs. It's come loose and is now rattling all the time and I'm getting wheel hop. Last time the company replaced it under it's one year warranty but I'm out of that now so I need to buy new ones. It was a del-a-lum/ rod end combo.

This was broken with street use.

I guess my question would be what companies use the highest quality rod ends and whats the best way to preserve them?
Old 12-23-2006, 03:38 PM

Spherical bearing rod ends are not really a good idea for street use. The rod ends installed on almost all LCAs are cheap at best and wear out almost instantly. Quality rod ends can cost $75+ each and still don't have a long life expectancy.

They last longer if not street driven. IMHO a god set of poly bushing boxed tube LCAs perform just a well with no wear out issues.

Re'
Old 12-23-2006, 04:14 PM

Too much dirt and grime for street use of spherical joints, IMHO.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:45 PM

Blackrat, how often do you drive the car?
Is is a daily driver?
Old 12-24-2006, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by revtime
Blackrat, how often do you drive the car?
Is is a daily driver?
I have a daily driver but I still drive my camaro a lot, at least 15k street miles a year, and 2 or 3 road race events, plus I'm hard on it.

This is really disapointing that an aftermarket companiy cannot make a lca that can survive street use. The first time it broke I took it to a suspension shop to see if they could fix it. The guy came up with several rubber sleeves off some other car and said I should run something like that to protect them from debris. He used something similar to a shock boot or something.

I know it's primarily a street car, but I would feel like I was cheaping out if I went poly/poly on it.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:36 AM

I had excellent longevity with Aurora rod ends that came on my LG stuff. I sold the car a year ago with the parts still in place and no noise.

I have the same rod ends on my road race car. I have just completed my second season and am having similar wear results.

I do keep them clean and lubricated, though.

I spray the articulating surface with brake cleaner to blast away dirt and grime and then use a dry graphite spray to lubricate.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I had excellent longevity with Aurora rod ends that came on my LG stuff. I sold the car a year ago with the parts still in place and no noise.

I have the same rod ends on my road race car. I have just completed my second season and am having similar wear results.

I do keep them clean and lubricated, though.

I spray the articulating surface with brake cleaner to blast away dirt and grime and then use a dry graphite spray to lubricate.
What's your routine for that? Would you suggest I pull them every 3k miles or so and spray them off?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:59 AM

I have the Spohn rod ended stuff and have had no problems either...They are self lubricating and sealed with teflon....I just wipe them off at every oil change while I'm under the car...Steve Spohn said not to lubricate the ones he uses because the lube may attract dirt and grime...I think they use the QA1 Enduras which are supposed to be very durable...Got 2 years on mine and they are fine...They replaced my old Hotchkis poly set up in which all the poly bushings had deflected and were binding....even with the poper maintenance and grease...

--Alan
Old 12-24-2006, 03:03 PM

Some kind of boot would definately help.
My car only gets about 3k a year put on it. Mainly late nite weekends Keeping them clean will go a long way.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by blackrat
What's your routine for that? Would you suggest I pull them every 3k miles or so and spray them off?
Whenever I get under the car for another reason ... no set interval actually.

You don't need to get the car in the air to get the PHB.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ABA383
Steve Spohn said not to lubricate the ones he uses because the lube may attract dirt and grime...
Originally Posted by mitchntx
use a dry graphite spray to lubricate.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...aphite5200.php

Available at NAPA
Old 12-24-2006, 03:47 PM
nfa

I got a set of rod end seals from a stock car store for my rod ends. Two years and no issues so far. (FK 3 piece road ends)
Old 12-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Former Vendor

We do not recommend using any lubricant dry or wet on our spherical bearings or rod ends. If you are using a bearing or rod end with a Teflon liner the lubricant will attract the dirt and increase the wear and decrease the life on the Teflon. If they are maintained properly and are good quality bearings such as FK, Aurora, or NHBB, they will last a long time.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
IMHO a god set of poly bushing boxed tube LCAs perform just a well with no wear out issues.

Re'
If you like road racing poly bushings on both ends isn't ideal as it will bind the suspension. I have LCAs with poly on one end and a sperical rod end on the other. No binding and minimizes the road noise of rod ends on both sides.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:22 PM

i would consider it cheap insurance and replace the ends every year. we lost a $70,000 race car due to a broken end that was checked every race day. you can't expect them to last forever and i think with the abuse and street driving i would replace them as insurance. i think you can get some covers to help keep the dirt out of them,

Quick Reply: Whats the life on spherical bearings?