Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Wheel hop, do I have it???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Wheel hop, do I have it???

I am getting a strange vibration and not sure if it is wheel hop or not...

My entire suspension is stock minus removal of the front sway bar, and the car only has 79K miles...

For the past few thousand miles, about a year, the rear end and rear suspension has been noisy, with a lot of squeeks and creaks while driving or jacking up the car. In this same time frame the rear end started going out and doing single wheel burnouts and spinning on the street. The gap in the wheel well remains about the same with about 4.5 inches from the top of my stock wheel to the bottom of the wheel well so I don't think that springs are sagging...

Recently I have developed this strange vibration when I accelerate hard, and after the 1-2 shift. It feels like I am driving over the rumble strips on the side of the highway. I think this is wheel hop and also due to the single wheel slipping. The strange part is I have felt wheel hope in a lot of other cars and it has never felt like this, it was always a jerking chirp-chirp-chirp and you could feel the rear actually hop.

So is this a strange type of wheel hop or is my rear actually almost completely gone, and causing this?