Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Wheel hop and occasional thunking under frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 11:46 PM

Wheel hop and occasional thunking under frame

I understand LCA'a are sometimes used to correct this problem. I was also told to look into possible ladder bars. Can someone give some good advise as to which will do the trick, including manufacturers info too. Thanks alot.
G
Old 09-23-2004, 01:49 AM

Re: Wheel hop and occasional thunking under frame

i fixed wheel hop with spohn lca's and got the relocation brackets to further fix it.

then i fixed my tranny clunking around with a prothane tranny mount.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:30 PM

thanks, btw, nice car
Old 09-26-2004, 06:50 PM

anyone else, I really don't want to blow my rear b/c of the mods I did to make it go faster.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:02 PM

LCA relocation brackets and adj. panhard rod fixed my wheel hop problem. I still get it on large dips and hopefully replacing my stock LCA's will eliminate all the wheel hop
Old 09-27-2004, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by gearslammer
I understand LCA'a are sometimes used to correct this problem. I was also told to look into possible ladder bars. Can someone give some good advise as to which will do the trick, including manufacturers info too. Thanks alot.
G
I fixed the thunking by replacing the rear motor mount with a stock unit. The thunking is caused by the motor mount collaspsing over a period of time and the exhaust hits the tunnel brace. I have a convertible. I am sure the poly mount will last longer than the stock part.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by tomatocity
I fixed the thunking by replacing the rear motor mount with a stock unit. The thunking is caused by the motor mount collaspsing over a period of time and the exhaust hits the tunnel brace. I have a convertible. I am sure the poly mount will last longer than the stock part.
Is that possible with only 7000 miles on the car?

BTW that's for the help guy's
Old 09-29-2004, 12:11 AM

Is that possible with only 7000 miles on the car?

BTW that's for the help guy's
probably not, but I would take a look and see how close the exhaust is to the tunnel brace. it should at least have a 1/2 inch clearance.

7000 miles! let the dealership resolve the problems. though beware. Before I purchased my now car, it was at the dealship for repair and one of the technicians wrecked it.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:13 PM

probably not, but I would take a look and see how close the exhaust is to the tunnel brace. it should at least have a 1/2 inch clearance.

7000 miles! let the dealership resolve the problems. though beware. Before I purchased my now car, it was at the dealship for repair and one of the technicians wrecked it.
I tried that when I had the car dynotuned with my mods, and they asked what the hell did you do to this thing? There computer couldn't read my PCM, thus couldn't fix it. Besides the way it growled, they knew I went one step beyond any warranty service. In addition the exhaust isn't stock either. I just need to get to a lift so I can figure out what is hitting what.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:03 PM

I tried that when I had the car dynotuned with my mods, and they asked what the hell did you do to this thing? There computer couldn't read my PCM, thus couldn't fix it. Besides the way it growled, they knew I went one step beyond any warranty service. In addition the exhaust isn't stock either. I just need to get to a lift so I can figure out what is hitting what.
a pair of Rhino ramps, floor jack, pair of jack stands, a creeper, and a dry driveway. Excellent inverstment. Check Walmart and Harbor Freight for everything but the dry driveway
Old 10-04-2004, 09:00 PM

I fixed the thunking by replacing the rear motor mount with a stock unit.
Rear motor mount? Am I missing something here? My car has a bad thump when I dump the clutch that I can't figure out. Put a brand new poly trans mount on and still have the thump. Bout to lose my mind trying to figure it out.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by crzhrs
Rear motor mount? Am I missing something here? My car has a bad thump when I dump the clutch that I can't figure out. Put a brand new poly trans mount on and still have the thump. Bout to lose my mind trying to figure it out.
does your exhaust system have good clearance from the X-brace? do you have stock or aftermarket exhaust?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:12 PM

I thought only the convertibles have an x-brace. If you are talking about the tunnel brace it was removed before I bought the car.(A missing tunnel brace couldn't cause that thump could it?) I have Mac headers and stock exhaust.... hangs real low. Don't think that is a problem.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by crzhrs
I thought only the convertibles have an x-brace. If you are talking about the tunnel brace it was removed before I bought the car.(A missing tunnel brace couldn't cause that thump could it?) I have Mac headers and stock exhaust.... hangs real low. Don't think that is a problem.
check thet clearance on your headers/exhaust and check to see if any of your motor mount move significantly. check for the clearance of your exhaust and the brace that your rear motor mount bolts to.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:45 PM

I will take a look at the exhaust but I am still confused on the rear motor mount deal. I thought there was only one on each side. I forgot to mention my car has been lowered 2". So about the post hijack Gearslammer.