Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Wheel Well Cutting Tire, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 03:23 PM

Wheel Well Cutting Tire, HELP!

Please Help!

I bought my car (see sig. For details) and have a big time problem. The car has lowering springs on the car. I believe the sportlines with a 2” drop all the way around.

The problem is the lip of the rear passenger wheel well is hitting the edge of the tire from time to time. It hits right where the side wall meets the flat of the tire. This is taking small slices out of the tire. The lip of the wheel well only clears the tire by about 1”. I really can’t tell when the tire and the lip collide. There is really no noise when it happens.

So, what are my options besides getting different springs?

1. Is there a way to loosen the pressure on the spring and have in no so compressed?

2. Is there some kind of spacer that can be put between the spring that would not allow it to compress so much?

3. Or, am I just screwed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill
Old 08-19-2005, 05:59 PM

Re: Wheel Well Cutting Tire, HELP!

Have you tried rolling the lip? Performance rim shops usually have a tool for this or you can to it caveman style by jacking up the rear, putting a bat between the tire and lip then lowering the car back down. Then you just roll the car back and forward to bend the lip up into the fender.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by speed fiend
Have you tried rolling the lip? Performance rim shops usually have a tool for this or you can to it caveman style by jacking up the rear, putting a bat between the tire and lip then lowering the car back down. Then you just roll the car back and forward to bend the lip up into the fender.

The lip was already rolled....... I guess I could try rolling it more and make the lip not flat but point more upward.

Thanks for your input.

Bill
Old 08-19-2005, 11:18 PM

this may be a stupid question
this may or may not have to do with your specific situation

but do u have an adjustable panhard bar?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:47 AM

I had the same problem. A friend of mine borrowed "the Tool" from someone he knew and we rolled my the lips on my Camaro and his Firebird. We rolled them as close to vertical as we could get them from about the 11:00 position to the 1:00 position. The fender rolling tool does a beautiful job. It looks like it came that way from the factory.

You don't mention anything about an adjustable panhard bar. That would help as well by re-centering the rear end.

Last edited by b55baron; 08-20-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by b55baron
I had the same problem. A friend of mine borrowed "the Tool" from someone he knew and we rolled my the lips on my Camaro and his Firebird. We rolled them as close to vertical as we could get them from about the 11:00 position to the 1:00 position. The fender rolling tool does a beautiful job. It looks like it came that way from the factory.

You don't mention anything about an adjustable panhard bar. That would help as well by re-centering the rear end.
Not sure on the adjustable panhard bar? I will have to look into it. I bought the car the way it is now. I would imagine it has one based on the fact that the entire suspension was upgraded to BMR everything.

Thanks, I'll let you know ho wit comes out.

Bill
Old 08-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Administrator

If its only hitting on one side, recentering the body over the axle with the panhard rod adjustment would probably cure the problem.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:43 PM

Check what the previous Post stated or get a size of tires that fit your application,
Old 08-20-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If its only hitting on one side, recentering the body over the axle with the panhard rod adjustment would probably cure the problem.
You hit the nail on the head, only on one side. I will look into adjusting and see what happens.

Thanks,

Bill