Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

where to buy the "UNDER" car parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:31 PM

where to buy the "UNDER" car parts?

Im looking for a good place to buy replacement parts for under the car,Im note sure what any of it is called. Basically I am working on a 93 z28 camaro. alot of the parts are very rusty and I would rather replace then fix.

Here is a crappy pic of what I am looking to replace. (taken from my phone)

Im sure they make aftermarket or factory replacement parts like this but I need pointed in the direction. thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 07:40 PM

that's a panhard bar. well... the lower part of it....

lots of aftermarket companies make them for our cars.....

I got mine from umi performance... I am very pleased with the quality and price of it.

where in pittsburgh are you from btw? I'm from Kittanning
Old 03-11-2007, 07:53 PM

I would also look into replacing the lower control arms and a pair of subframe connectors wouldn't be a bad investment either. Lots of companies out there to choose from that make good parts. Spohn, BMR, UMIPerformance, Hotpart,ect.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM

I am really wanting to completely change everything under the car(Atleast alot of it) I found this pic on LS1.com

Looks super clean

Old 03-11-2007, 08:27 PM

someone's car doesn't see the rain...

I wonder if he por-15'd the entire underbody?

that's a lot of paint...

and why do I see a 10 bolt under there?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by danhr
that's a panhard bar. well... the lower part of it....

lots of aftermarket companies make them for our cars.....

I got mine from umi performance... I am very pleased with the quality and price of it.

where in pittsburgh are you from btw? I'm from Kittanning
I live in Beaver County, about 30 minutes from Pittsburgh.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:56 PM

would 400 dollars be a good price for this Rear end. Mine is rusty. Do you think it would be easier to just fix mine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-02...spagenameZWD1V
Old 03-11-2007, 09:00 PM

no... you can usually someone on the boards damn near giving them away for free.... put something in the "parts wanted" section of the board and you will most likely find something
Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 AM

was that car sitting in the ocean for a few months or what?

Most of the stuff back there is commonly replaced with better parts.

I'm assuming you just got the car judging by your sign up date so I'll just describe what you got back there in a hurry.

the thin horizontal bar in the last pic that has the arrow pointing to it is your sway bar. you have an earlier year, so it's small. the later ss's and ws.6s came with larger bars. you can get them from any of the sponsors, but if you go bigger there, upgrade your front at the same time or your handling will be wonky.

the horizontal bar going at a downward angle has already been pointed out to be the panhard rod, also commonly replaced.

the two bars going lengthwise with the car on either side of the axle are the lower control arms. those are usually the first and most common suspension mod.

the long thin flat piece of metal going along side the driveshaft is the torque arm. that isn't as neccesary to replace as the other parts, but a good upgrade nontheless. then again, you can remove that pretty easy and clean it up with fresh paint.

the axle itself, if you can afford it, can be as shiny and blingy as you want if you upgrade to a 12 bolt, but thats over 2gs there. no real way to clean what you have there short of yanking it out, stripping it, media blasting, and painting it. The money you'll be paying to do all that wouldn't be too far behind getting a 12 bolt.

The most economical way to have a good looking set up back there would be to go used like you were saying. Keep in mind that the axle shown there is not from a 6 speed like it says it is, it is from an auto.

auto: 2.73 and 3.23
manual: only 3.42

Make sure what you get matches your tranny, there's plenty of each out there.

that should take care of all the rust back there.

EDIT: BTW, just saw you wanted to know where to buy stuff. check the sponsors form this board. Generally, BMR is known for drag racing and UMI is known for handling. figure out what direction you want to go with the car and run a search on those parts in this section. There's a ton of info here about the differances between the parts available to you.

Last edited by blackrat; 03-12-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
would 400 dollars be a good price for this Rear end. Mine is rusty. Do you think it would be easier to just fix mine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-02...spagenameZWD1V
I would say no as well. These usually fetch around 150-250 bucks. Plus, I wouldn't even bother tossing in factory rearends and just save the money towards a stronger aftermarket replacement.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 PM

wow thanks for the info. I have learned alot from you guys so far ..I really appriciate it.

As for the rust: The car is a 93 camaro z28. The kid that I bought the car from didnt take good car of it. I am totally stripping it down. I have the whole interior gutted as well as all the outside panels. I will be making a progress post in the appearence section to show my progress. The rust just prob accumulated over time from sitting out side or from the stupid kid driving it in the snow and salt
Old 03-13-2007, 07:54 PM

I just got a sand blaster and some POR 15 today. So I will be attending to the rust in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:24 AM

Tip for sandblasting: do not hold it down in one area, or even one general area. Move it across a decent sized area to begin with. Once most the rust is off then start focussing on smaller areas. Make sure you tape off EVERYTHING!!! Sand will still get in areas you don't want. Literally, I mean EVERYTHING.

Tip for POR15: DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR HANDS. You will probably have to wait for that layer of skin to die before it comes off. Wear gloves.

Last edited by MyShibbyZ28; 03-14-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:31 PM

thanks man!