Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Who hasn't noticed a diff with sfcs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:57 AM

Who hasn't noticed a diff with sfcs?

I am hearing some people saying that sfcs don't really do much, that the 4th gen is already pretty rigid and that shocks, springs, and swaybars are the things that affect handling.

Btw, does the 4th gen even have subframes?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:13 PM

Re: Who hasn't noticed a diff with sfcs?

I felt the difference before i even left the parking lot after the install. Car feels more solid and handles alot better under hard acceleration.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:48 PM

Only people that will tell you there is no difference with SFC's are the one who don't have them. Best investment you can make on a uni-body car.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:37 PM

I could feel the diff when I rolled out of the spot the welder put my car in. My friend who has a drop top ta noticed when I let him drive my car. He wants them now.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 87DJP2001
Only people that will tell you there is no difference with SFC's are the one who don't have them. Best investment you can make on a uni-body car.
I had them on my first Camaro, and now I don't have them on any of my current three Camaros (all with 100K+ miles). And as far as seat of the pants go, I cannot tell a difference... As far as I am concerned, someone needs to equip their car with strain gages and show me the results for me to believe that they are THAt effective (except in convertible 4th gens, and very high-horsepower 4th gens that dead-hook at the strip). Until then, I will think that they aren't much good besides making great jacking points if you are using the 3-pt rectangular ones.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:32 PM

Thumbs down Re: Who hasn't noticed a diff with sfcs?

Originally Posted by Camaro_Maniac63
I had them on my first Camaro, and now I don't have them on any of my current three Camaros (all with 100K+ miles). And as far as seat of the pants go, I cannot tell a difference... As far as I am concerned, someone needs to equip their car with strain gages and show me the results for me to believe that they are THAt effective (except in convertible 4th gens, and very high-horsepower 4th gens that dead-hook at the strip). Until then, I will think that they aren't much good besides making great jacking points if you are using the 3-pt rectangular ones.
Worthless opinion from a person who can't tell the difference because he has NO SFC's installed on his car.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:11 PM

i defineatly noticed a difference.

took a little more than pulling out of the garage to tell....but i could feel it on the road.

i live where there are alot of bridges, and as i would go over them and hit the "dips" between the sections of the bridge...i could tell the car felt different.

to me it almost made the car ride rougher since it forced the suspension to do more of the work...and with stock springs and shocks at 40K miles they were getting old.

not many curves here, so i can't help much there.

but i think they are well worth it.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:10 AM

Worthless opinion from a person who can't tell the difference because he has NO SFC's installed on his car.
Didn't you read my first sentence which says "I had them installed on my first Camaro"?

I saw the light after selling that one and realizing that my new one drove just the same without them, so I decided to save my money on the two other 4th gen Camaros that I bought later.

Last edited by Camaro_Maniac63; 03-13-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro_Maniac63
Didn't you read my first sentence which says "I had them installed on my first Camaro"?

I saw the light after selling that one and realizing that my new one drove just the same without them, so I decided to save my money on the two other 4th gen Camaros that I bought later.
Still a useless & worthless opinion from someone who had them at one time. If you don't have them now who cares what you say and put a strain gage on this.

Last edited by 87DJP2001; 03-13-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:27 AM

Seat of the pants didn't feel much different to me, but I believe it's helped with squeaks and I know it's made the frame more rigid. I first noticed a difference when I was driving on the grass in a spot I earlier was able to drive without a problem... now the car was spinning and I looked and noticed that one of the rear wheels wasn't getting traction, since I used to be able to drive there I expect that before the body was flexing enough to keep both tires reasonably planted.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:42 PM

Still a useless & worthless opinion from someone who had them at one time. If you don't have them now who cares what you say and put a strain gage on this.
LOL, take it a lil personally why dont ya
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 AM

I too felt a difference from themoment I left the parking lot of the shop that installed mine, Now the car launches straight handles MUCH better and rattles so much less.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:17 AM

It appears it's "worthless" because he doesn't agree with you.

He had them on a car and then he bought another car without them and felt no difference between the 2.

Sounds more "objective" than any of the other "subjective" comments I've read here.

Launches better? same tires? same track? same weather conditions? same track conditions? better driver?

Handles better? same tires? same track? same weather conditions? same track conditions? better driver?

Seat of the pants is all subjective data. Objective data is cold hard facts with the variables removed.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mitchntx
He had them on a car and then he bought another car without them and felt no difference between the 2.

Sounds more "objective" than any of the other "subjective" comments I've read here.

Launches better? same tires? same track? same weather conditions? same track conditions? better driver?
Unless he ragged on the first car, stepped out, and climbed into the new SFC-less car, and ragged on that, don't these questions all apply to his supposedly objective comments as well?

I don't have SFCs, but I want them. Nonetheless, I would be interested to see the results if anyone does the strain gauge thing.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:30 PM

If, If, If ...

That's why this whole thread is useless ... because it's based upon subjective data.

Personally, I have them. It makes jacking the car up easier.

Quick Reply: Who hasn't noticed a diff with sfcs?