Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Who here lowered their car, but then later put it back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:13 PM

Who here lowered their car, but then later put it back to stock?

I've been contemplating this for the last month or so. Putting my stock springs back on with a good shock.

ANyone here do it? Put lowering springs on to only later down the road go back to stock ride height?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:18 PM

I'm either going that route, Hotchkis or BMR.

I don't like the stock 4x4 look, but I'm tired of the airdam scraping. Car is ~1.5" lower.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I'm either going that route, Hotchkis or BMR.

I don't like the stock 4x4 look, but I'm tired of the airdam scraping. Car is ~1.5" lower.
My thoughts exactly. Since I've now moved to a large city theres so many entrances to parking lots and gas stations that I just soon rather not turn into.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Administrator

I put on the Pro-Kits with QA1 shocks. The front dropped 1.8" and the exhaust and torque arm mount dragged on everything. The back dropped 1.0" and had a horrible "chop" to it, like a slammed S10 riding on the axle ( mismatch between the springs and the shocks). I put it back to stock height.

Got rid of the gap in the rear wheel wells by running 28" slicks......
Old 01-25-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I put on the Pro-Kits with QA1 shocks. The front dropped 1.8" and the exhaust and torque arm mount dragged on everything. The back dropped 1.0" and had a horrible "chop" to it, like a slammed S10 riding on the axle ( mismatch between the springs and the shocks). I put it back to stock height.

Got rid of the gap in the rear wheel wells by running 28" slicks......
Actually the gap in the rear isn't much less than what it was stock. I too have the slammed s-10 sound in the rear on the littlest of road imperfections.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:16 AM

Mine had a bad rake to it when it was lowered. I used the Vogtland springs. I got tired of dragging my air dam/headers on everything so I put it back to stock. I am wanting to lower it again, but I was thikning about just cutting a set of stock springs to take it down like a .5" in the front and .75" in the back to lower it just enough and have it level.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
Mine had a bad rake to it when it was lowered. I used the Vogtland springs. I got tired of dragging my air dam/headers on everything so I put it back to stock. I am wanting to lower it again, but I was thikning about just cutting a set of stock springs to take it down like a .5" in the front and .75" in the back to lower it just enough and have it level.
Cutting springs increases the spring rate and may not end feeling too good to you. IMHO, it's better to get lowering springs that fit your needs.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:35 PM

Call me weird but I have never liked the down in the weeds look.
I agree with Injuneer. Put some bigger tires on it to fill the wheelwell and be able to drive the damn thing.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 PM

My 18s would probably give the appearance of a more full wheel well than my 16s...even though tire+rim diameter is the same for both.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:44 PM

i just put eibach sportlines, and i coulnd'nt be happier. the rake is great.not too low in the front.granted i only put about 5k a year on the car.i have'nt encouterd any speed bumps.anything is better than the fender gap before.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by revtime
Call me weird but I have never liked the down in the weeds look.
I agree with Injuneer. Put some bigger tires on it to fill the wheelwell and be able to drive the damn thing.
Thats ok for the rear if you don't mind reducing your gear ratio, but how are you going to fill the gap up front?

Keep in mind we aren't all drag racers. I'd rather handle better than have ultimate off the line traction. So in order to fill the front gap w/out lowering it that would require me to buy 19-20" wheels so I can still have short sidewalls. No thanks.

And forget sportlines. I don't care to ride the bump stops because Eibiotch was stupid and made springs with too little rate for how low they sit.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:31 PM

i haven't hit a bump stop yet, and they recommend you take a little off of the stop. but hey differant strokes for differant folks. i 'm sure you will find something that u are happy w/. u r going about it the right way by doing ur homework.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Thats ok for the rear if you don't mind reducing your gear ratio, but how are you going to fill the gap up front?
Take a few turns off the spring seat nut on the QA1's.....
Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 AM

I had Eibach springs with KYB's on the car; I believe it lowered the car 1.5 to 1.8 inches. I got tired of hitting everything, and fearing driveways, not to mention a crappy ride. I now have stock springs and Koni adjustables, and couldn’t be happier. I did remove the rear spring isolator and replaced it with a rubber hose on the top coil, and have the collar on the front shocks set to the lower setting (the Koni’s have 2 settings on the front shocks as to where the spring perch is located, about 1/2 inch apart.) The car has approximately a 1/2 inch drop, which is more than enough for my tastes.

Nick
Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 AM

I'm pretty certain I'm putting her back this spring.

Quick Reply: Who here lowered their car, but then later put it back to stock?