Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Why do I get a clicking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 AM

Why do I get a clicking noise?

Hi guys,

I just replaced my rims and tyres on my '98 Z. I bought what looks like SS replica's from a dodgy little shop where the guy didn't speak any English. The rims look awesome but i'm getting a little clicking noise when I take corners, it worsens the bigger the lock and varies depending on speed.

I'm not too sure of the offset of the rims but the tyre size's are 245 / 40 R18 on all corners. If i'm being honest, the rears could do with some spacers - I had 275 tyres at the back before and they looked better.

Any advise appreciated
Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 PM

Do you know the offset and backspacing on the SS wheels you just installed?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
Do you know the offset and backspacing on the SS wheels you just installed?
I'm afraid not, found them in a shop and paid the equivelent of around $600 for brand new rims and tires, which is dirt cheap over here considering they look awesome!

Let's say the offset was out, why would that cause clicking? I've jacked the car up and spun the wheel with no noise or ressisstance what so ever. I've looked and felt around and there is nothing touching the tire/rim at all.

Could this be suspension? something that's affected by the camber when on lock? I've got Blistien's and lowered all the way round.

Any help appreciated.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by geo1400
I'm afraid not, found them in a shop and paid the equivelent of around $600 for brand new rims and tires, which is dirt cheap over here considering they look awesome!

Let's say the offset was out, why would that cause clicking? I've jacked the car up and spun the wheel with no noise or ressisstance what so ever. I've looked and felt around and there is nothing touching the tire/rim at all.

Could this be suspension? something that's affected by the camber when on lock? I've got Blistien's and lowered all the way round.

Any help appreciated.
The offset of the wheel can't be "out". The offset is fixed on the wheel, and can't be adjusted. If the offset/backspacing together would cause the wheel to rub on parts of your car, then it could. Is this only for the front wheels? You may be able to turn the wheel lock to lock when it's parked, and see if there is anything that looks like it might be touching. You can evaluate if you need spacers at that time.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
The offset of the wheel can't be "out". The offset is fixed on the wheel, and can't be adjusted. If the offset/backspacing together would cause the wheel to rub on parts of your car, then it could. Is this only for the front wheels? You may be able to turn the wheel lock to lock when it's parked, and see if there is anything that looks like it might be touching. You can evaluate if you need spacers at that time.
I know the offset can't be "out", what I meant was if I had a wheel that had too little or too much offset, how would that cause clicking? it's a strange noise, it doesn't sound like it's rubbing on anything - just clicking.

I tried looking as best as I could (my head doesn't fit under the car!) with the car parked and lock to lock, no contact with anything.

Could there be play in tie rod ends or another steering/suspension part that when on lock moves back and forth, causing a "click"? I'm definitely thinkning it's not coming from rubbing, but then, it's didn't do it with my old wheels?

I think it's going to need to head to the garage...
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 PM

Have you gone through the treads of the tires and checked to see if you picked up any rocks? A set of Continental tires i have on my GTO picks up small pebbles every so often and makes a clicking noise in relation to vehicle speed. The noise can go away when driving straight, get louder when braking or when turning left or right. If it gets louder when braking check the front tires. If it's loud when turning left, check the right tire and vise-versa.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 PM

I checked the tires and they're all ok. One thing strange happened though, I had the car washed which included the underside, and the jet washing from underneath caused the noise to go away for about a day... why would the noise go away when wet?

Do you think I need to get under the car a just grease up all moving parts?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM

Does the clicking go away when you straighten the wheel out? I had a similar problem and found that the wheel bearing was shot.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by anvec
Does the clicking go away when you straighten the wheel out? I had a similar problem and found that the wheel bearing was shot.
Yes it does go away when you straighten out. Normally wheel bearings grind around corners don't they? and it's more high pitched than the sound of a wheel bearing.