Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Wolfe 6pt. in a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:04 AM

Question Wolfe 6pt. in a street car?

I just got ahold of a wolfe 6pt. bolt in cage without swingouts. I realize that it will get in the way entering/exiting the car somewhat, but is it really bad? I understand that this bar is supposed to be less in the way than other setups. Is there any door panel or seat interference? I know I have to cut the quarter trim panels, but do I have to cut anything else?

Any general comments on this setup? It looks pretty good to me. Also, is it ok to weld this in later?

Thanks
Stevie
Old 07-07-2004, 10:36 AM

The plan sounds fine... I'd verify the bar is NHRA legal if you're expecting that. I haven't seen pics of their bars lately, but the side bars used to be way too low to be legal.

Dave
Old 07-07-2004, 02:42 PM

I got it pretty cheap, so I will sling it in anyways
Old 07-07-2004, 07:37 PM

Just curious but what advantages are there from a 6 point cage over a 4 point in a street car? Not critisizing you or anything im just wondering if the bars that extend up front have any added side impact protection or frame stiffening advantages or anything?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:46 AM

The most obvious function of the front bars is to support the hoop. With a four-point you only have triangulation in the rear.

As for the liveability of a 6-point on the street, my car has been sitting in the shop for two months waiting for my custom 6-point roll-bar to be installed. The side-bars will have swingouts and can also be removed from the car. Also the main hoop will be cut through the floorpan and attach to my rear SLP SFCs, the front attachment points will again go through the floorpan and attach to the front subframe.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:09 AM

Is it a daily driver? I've got the same one and after a while it gets a little old climbing over the side bars everyday.

There's no interference with the door panels or seats. Just cut your rear quarter trim pieces and your carpet.

There's a couple of pics at the bottom of my page.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/grandsportz

Mike
Old 07-08-2004, 08:18 AM

It isn't a daily driver, so it shouldn't be too bad. I drive the car about 3 times a month It just never seems like I have time to get it all cleaned up and take it out before it rains again here lately.

BTW, great lookin car mike, I really like the gs wheel on red. That looks pretty sweet.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:58 PM

What is this "hoop" you guys are talking about?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by lt4 fd
What is this "hoop" you guys are talking about?
That's the main part of the roll bar.... starts at the floor, goes up to the inside of the roof, across the interior and back down to the floor on the opposite side. That constitutes 2 of the 6-points. The two braces from the main hoop to the rear - fender liners or package shelf - adds another 2 points. And the braces from the hoop to the footwell add another 2 points.

NHRA only requires a 5-point roll bar to 10.00-seconds, so you don't have to install the passenger side front brace. And, swingouts are legal, and you can unbolt the side bar from the pivot in the front footwell to eliminate the inconvenience for street driving.

I would be VERY careful running a roll bar on the street. The people in the back seat will be exposed to the top of the hoop and the intermediate cross-bar in a crash = smashed heads. IK removed the rear seat when the roll bar went in. The driver and passenger will also be exposed to impact with the top of the hoop. The cheap foam padding doesn't do much. SFI 45.1 padding is hard as a rock, and is only intended to protect heads with helmets. Just something to think about.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:01 PM

wow I may not be getting one of those then, I certainly want to survive a wreck even if my car doesnt...
Old 07-08-2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by a327vette
It isn't a daily driver, so it shouldn't be too bad. I drive the car about 3 times a month It just never seems like I have time to get it all cleaned up and take it out before it rains again here lately.

BTW, great lookin car mike, I really like the gs wheel on red. That looks pretty sweet.
If that's all you drive it, it won't be bad at all. I know what you mean about the rain. That's all it does here lately.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:39 AM

I would be VERY careful running a roll bar on the street. The people in the back seat will be exposed to the top of the hoop and the intermediate cross-bar in a crash = smashed heads. IK removed the rear seat when the roll bar went in. The driver and passenger will also be exposed to impact with the top of the hoop.
I agree with the comment about the rear seat, any roll bar makes the rear unsafe for any passengers. But as for the front passengers, its highly unlikely one will make contact with the top of the hoop. Since the hoop runs behind the seat and along the roof you can't wedge yourself above the bar, only below. There's not much room to squeeze your head in and the head rest should prevent your head from snapping back and landing above the head rest. The other point I'd make is that although there is that possibility its more likely your roof will collapse in a roll-over. Having a rollbar should prevent the roof from crushing your head so your overall risk of injury should be reduced. Same goes for the side bars, if a vehicle hits you from the side and pushes the bar into you that means without a bar the car would've already hit you. The side bar will absorb some or all of the impact before reaching your body.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:42 AM

The back seat has long since been ditched. That wont be a problem!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:29 AM

Even if the back seat is in the car, it's virtually useless. The bar blocks access to the seat, unless your passengers don't mind crawling through the hatch.

I had mine out for a while but put it back in to get my new carpet to lay right. I wouldn't ever let anyone ride there.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Administrator

If you have a roll bar and drive the car on the street, I just suggested that you think about the consequences. I really can't say whether one's head could actually hit the hoop, but based on my custom install, it is definitely possible. You hit something, the body whips forward until it hits the shoulder restraint, then the body and head whip backward, against what are some fairly flimsy (and often not adusted high enough) headrests on the stock seats. My hoop is moved back as far as it can possilby be, and still be NHRA legal (6" from the helmet), and the hoop is as close as you can get it to the headliner, but with the limited space in a 4th Gen, its not high enough over your head (3" above the helmet, minimum) to pass NHRA certification (when you graduate to a full cage). You have to put a thin "racing" seat on the floor, and slouch as far as you possibly can to meet the NHRA inspection requirements.

I drive my car on the street occaisionally.... just suggesting that you think about the consequences.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP03794a.jpg

Quick Reply: Wolfe 6pt. in a street car?