Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

yet another problem with my z

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

yet another problem with my z

ok, so i just ran all new brake lines, from the pvalve all the way to the rear end, then replaced all the lines there...

so heres my problem, ive bled my brakes. i had the bleeders shooting fluid across my driveway, closed them up, started the car and my pedal goes straight to the floor...

i put it in gear while on stands and let the wheels turn at an idle and hit the brakes and no even the slightest hint of it wanting to stop...

so what now? could my calipers be locked up? i hope not... if so i think its about time i part this car out.... im tired of dumping money into it...

i mean, i ran all new lines. new wiring. new pcm, coil, icm, headlights. all new bulbs, new bumper, dashpad, opti, plugs,wires, window and lock switches... radio, gauges, oil change, filter change, trans filter and gasket,....

ive put alot of time and money into this car, gotten into alot of fights with my fiance over working on this car instead of spending time with her....

anyway i can free them up if they are locked up?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

Re: yet another problem with my z

come on guys no help?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 PM

so you bled at each caliper and you did it in the proper order? i dont remember the order but there is one. did you also bleed at the master cylinder? when bleeding you need to make sure you have a tube coming off the bleed screw and that tube needs to be submerged in brake fluid so it doesnt suck air back into lines. i went through almost two large bottles of fluid when i bled mine. i am sure that was extreme overkill but i wanted to be positively sure. you arent trying to do this on your own without someone helping, are you?

also you might get 'yelled' at or have this thread moved because this isnt technically engine tech.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Before this gets moved anytime lines get replaced it is advised to bleed the master cylinder
Ussually I run a tube frrom front back into the master resivore first then start at right rear then left. Then right front then left and back to resivore. And its always crack open bleeder put tube in one pump and hold and tighhten and then release pedal repeat till no bubble are present
I just did mine. And now they stop good
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grabbem88
Before this gets moved anytime lines get replaced it is advised to bleed the master cylinder
Ussually I run a tube frrom front back into the master resivore first then start at right rear then left. Then right front then left and back to resivore. And its always crack open bleeder put tube in one pump and hold and tighhten and then release pedal repeat till no bubble are present
I just did mine. And now they stop good

i didnt know there was an order to go by,..

can someone give me the exact order to bleed these in,

and what do you mean run a hose into it?

and no i have Fiance helping me with it...
Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 PM

There's no real order, just start as far away from the master cylinder as you can. That just means bleed right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

If you replaced the master cylinder it is advisable to bench bleed it. If you didn't replace it you don't need to worry about it.

So, to bleed the brakes, attach a tube to the bleeder fitting and put the end in a bottle containing some brake fluid. Make sure the master cylinder is completely full. Have your fiancee pump the brakes a few times and then stop holding the pedal down as far as she can push it. open the bleeder screw about a half turn and watch as the bubbles come up through the brake fluid in the jar. The brake should go the floor. Close the bleeder valve. Repeat until no bubbles come out. Move to the next wheel and repeat.

Ater you get the wheels done, do the ABS system. Some guys do this first, I've had the best luck doing it last...
Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
There's no real order, just start as far away from the master cylinder as you can. That just means bleed right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

Well, that is the order.

BTW, OP, you never let the brake pedal off the floor until the bleeder is closed or it will just suck air back in.

I prefer a Mityvac or similar to bleed brakes. Easy to do by yourself and works well.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bw_hunter

If you replaced the master cylinder it is advisable to bench bleed it. If you didn't replace it you don't need to worry about it.

So, to bleed the brakes, attach a tube to the bleeder fitting and put the end in a bottle containing some brake fluid. Make sure the master cylinder is completely full. Have your fiancee pump the brakes a few times and then stop holding the pedal down as far as she can push it. open the bleeder screw about a half turn and watch as the bubbles come up through the brake fluid in the jar. The brake should go the floor. Close the bleeder valve. Repeat until no bubbles come out. Move to the next wheel and repeat.

Ater you get the wheels done, do the ABS system. Some guys do this first, I've had the best luck doing it last...

i followed what you said and nothing worked. i took my calipers off and compressed them, they were locked up... so i worked on them after about 5 minutes, they still didnt work. so i took one apart, the caliper itsself was locked up and it was just the sshaft moving,

so im screwed, i need both rear calipers... and shoes... the reason i say im screwed is,

i just lost my job, i have no money and i need to have this car drivable so i can move, (i got kicked out last week and have 23 more days to get out)

im totaly screwed here, as you guys know our cars are not safe to be driven with only front brakes....

does anyone have any extras they can spare? ill find away to pay you back,
somehow... im totaly screwed,

being only 18 and not having a job and the way the work places are right now, i wont have a job, get paid and get my car finished in time to get it out of here...

i need your help guys... if anyone can help

id ask my parents for help but there in the same spot as me, my dad cant work, he has an anurizom on his heart thats 3 cm big, and itll burst at 5cm,

my mom cant work....

and i have no one else.... im boned... im just worried about trying to keep my head above water.....

life sucks
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Btdt and I wished I had spare stuff since remans are like 80 to 1@0 bucks depending store and I guess there isn't any boneyards with any camaros
Life is a bitch and let me tell ya there is no shame in unemployment till you get a job we have to survive
Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Wrong forum.

Moving to "Suspension, Chassis and BRAKES".
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 AM

I don't understand the problem???????

Originally Posted by bobbyk3lly
the caliper itsself was locked up
I fail to understand why you need to replace the whole assy. You put a small block of wood in the caliper and blow compressed air into the connection point for the brake line. The piston pops out, you put a new O ring on it, clean up the caliper body and reassemble.

End of story.

Have a nice day.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

Re: I don't understand the problem???????

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
I fail to understand why you need to replace the whole assy. You put a small block of wood in the caliper and blow compressed air into the connection point for the brake line. The piston pops out, you put a new O ring on it, clean up the caliper body and reassemble.

End of story.

Have a nice day.
I dont have a compresser.. all i have are hand tools. No one i really know has those
tools.

So i dont know what to do... i also just spent the last bit of money i had on gas for that car 2 days ago...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

Im trying to maybe sell some stuff to buy calipers on here or maybe trade something i have for them... but so far no luck
Old 07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned

So far no luck.guys. im trying to get up $100 for these brake calipers i got offered...but no luck yet. I hope i can get them. Ive got no time t screw around.