Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Got smoked in my new LS1...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 09:13 AM

Got smoked in my new LS1...

Last night, my brother and I decided to run 'em. I wanted to see what I had in this stock M6 Z28. Damn, I got my *** whooped.

My brother drives an M6 LT1 SS with a CC306 cam, hooker long tubes with OR pipe, (cheap) locally ported heads, and stock 3.42 gears. The porting job on the heads is ****ty, and I don't think he gained much of anything from it. He's looking to get those heads redone by an experienced LT1 porter.

We got on the highway and went from a 20 mph roll. That CC306 is a bad mother ****er...

First race: We hit it, and my brother was spinning through first gear while I easily found traction...it was neck and neck. I grabbed second with a loud SCREECH, but started to lose ground. I lost the race to 60 by a nose, and was a full car back by the top of second. Third gear was ugly...my brother put an easy 3 more cars on me to 110. After a little bit of fourth gear, I conceded by hitting the brakes. I lost by 4 or 5 cars in the quarter.

Second race: I gave the first two honks of the traditional three-honk start, but cheated and went on the second honk just to see if my brother could reel me in. He fell two to three cars back, but caught me at the top of third, and just laid the waste to me in fourth gear. That LT1 pulls hard as hell up top. I again conceded.

Third race: We switched drivers, because I have traditionally been the better driver and we wanted to see if that was still the case. My LS1 is tricky to drive because you have to shift it early in first and second gears (~5700 rpm) to avoid hitting the rev limiter. I think my tach may be a little slow. Nevertheless, my brother hopped right in and did quite well. In the LT1, I only smoked him by about five or six car lengths to 125 mph. ha ha ha

My Z feels pretty healthy, but it was overmatched from the beginning. I'm going to have to see if a few bolt-ons can even things up.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:12 AM

Re: Got smoked in my new LS1...

Originally posted by ChrisLS1Bird
Last night, my brother and I decided to run 'em. I wanted to see what I had in this stock M6 Z28. Damn, I got my *** whooped.

My brother drives an M6 LT1 SS with a CC306 cam, hooker long tubes with OR pipe, (cheap) locally ported heads, and stock 3.42 gears. The porting job on the heads is ****ty, and I don't think he gained much of anything from it. He's looking to get those heads redone by an experienced LT1 porter.

We got on the highway and went from a 20 mph roll. That CC306 is a bad mother ****er...

First race: We hit it, and my brother was spinning through first gear while I easily found traction...it was neck and neck. I grabbed second with a loud SCREECH, but started to lose ground. I lost the race to 60 by a nose, and was a full car back by the top of second. Third gear was ugly...my brother put an easy 3 more cars on me to 110. After a little bit of fourth gear, I conceded by hitting the brakes. I lost by 4 or 5 cars in the quarter.

Second race: I gave the first two honks of the traditional three-honk start, but cheated and went on the second honk just to see if my brother could reel me in. He fell two to three cars back, but caught me at the top of third, and just laid the waste to me in fourth gear. That LT1 pulls hard as hell up top. I again conceded.

Third race: We switched drivers, because I have traditionally been the better driver and we wanted to see if that was still the case. My LS1 is tricky to drive because you have to shift it early in first and second gears (~5700 rpm) to avoid hitting the rev limiter. I think my tach may be a little slow. Nevertheless, my brother hopped right in and did quite well. In the LT1, I only smoked him by about five or six car lengths to 125 mph. ha ha ha

My Z feels pretty healthy, but it was overmatched from the beginning. I'm going to have to see if a few bolt-ons can even things up.
Nice races, and its nice to see an LS1 give the LT1 props I would say he is making a solid 30rwhp more than you, maybe even 40rwhp. His car must screw.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 AM

Good run, nice to have fast cars in the family. My brother is only 17 and just bought a cheap Jetta to get by for a couple years, but he's already talking about getting his Camaro one day soon.

BTW, what happened to the '98 Firebird?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:44 PM

My brother's Camaro sounds awesome...like something you'd hear on a Sunday afternoon on NBC.

I was thinking he's got around 350-360 rwhp...with me in the 300-310 rwhp range. There's a big difference there.

I had to trade my 'bird in a couple of years ago. It had just gotten out of the warranty period when the tremedous Tremec T-56 decided to start grinding and popping. Rather than spring a grand for tranny work (at the time I was told I could only put new stock parts in), I worked a decent deal on a trade for a 2001 Acura 3.2 CL...something I could drive everyday, in traffic, and avoid getting tickets in. I still have the Acura.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:27 PM

Nice runs! Tell your brother he should get a used set of LT1 heads and port them himself............ It's kinda fun!!

John
Old 08-12-2003, 08:44 PM

Nice death and kill at the same time time to start modding that bad *** LS1!
Old 08-12-2003, 09:21 PM

My LS1 is tricky to drive because you have to shift it early in first and second gears (~5700 rpm) to avoid hitting the rev limiter. I think my tach may be a little slow.

....Nice run!!! The tachs are always a little slow under heavy acceleration. There is a bit of a lag period!!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:01 PM

Nice runs. The same thing happened when my brother bought an LS1. I beat him. The funny thing was i bought my car from him!!!!!!!!!!

Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 02:02 PM

This is what I am trying to figure out! I made a post about a 94 Z w/ CAI that started to pull on my from the beginning in my 99 TA!

I would pull on him, if we would go to a track, we stopped after a couple hundred feet.

It shocked me hard though!!!

Originally posted by 95z28 -quicksilver
Nice runs. The same thing happened when my brother bought an LS1. I beat him. The funny thing was i bought my car from him!!!!!!!!!!

Chris
Old 08-17-2003, 08:09 PM

that 306 strives up top..good runs
Old 10-23-2003, 01:51 AM

Thumbs up

Well, we ran 'em again. M6/CC306/hooker longtubes/!cats/Ed Wright PCM LT1 versus 2002 M6 LS1...

I've added a K&N FIPK and an SLP 2OTL exhaust to my LS1...+30 rwhp?

5 runs...It was door-to door all the way through the top of 4th gear... He had a little inching going on while in gear, but it ended when he shifted. His car is still sliding around in first gear, while mine goes relatively straight.

This LS1 is hanging in there with just intake and exhaust...also ran side by side with a stock '03 Cobra...

Old 10-24-2003, 11:23 AM

Well, we ran 'em again. M6/CC306/hooker longtubes/!cats/Ed Wright PCM LT1 versus 2002 M6 LS1...

I've added a K&N FIPK and an SLP 2OTL exhaust to my LS1...+30 rwhp?

5 runs...It was door-to door all the way through the top of 4th gear... He had a little inching going on while in gear, but it ended when he shifted. His car is still sliding around in first gear, while mine goes relatively straight.

This LS1 is hanging in there with just intake and exhaust...also ran side by side with a stock '03 Cobra...

Nice runs. I am surprised you hung with him, but I suspect his head job isnt getting it done. He needs to get some real heads if a bolt-on LS1 is running door to door with him.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:14 PM

He needs to get some real heads if a bolt-on LS1 is running door to door with him.

Thats exactly what i was thinking........

Chris
Old 10-24-2003, 02:32 PM

Yeah, if those heads were worth anything, his car would be faster. They were locally "touched up." It really sucks. We just leave the heads out of the description of his car now.

We're going to get his car to run right...GTP stage II sounds good.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:09 PM

Yeah, if those heads were worth anything, his car would be faster. They were locally "touched up." It really sucks. We just leave the heads out of the description of his car now.

We're going to get his car to run right...GTP stage II sounds good.
I would check out other porters before dishing out that much cash. GTP's are high priced (unless you can get a deal on some used ones).

Quick Reply: Got smoked in my new LS1...