Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Run in with El Camino

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:45 PM

Run in with El Camino

Well first off I'm a newbie with my Camaro(02 SS M6,red silver racing stripes 6400miles) . O'k heres goes Im drivin around in my camaro and this old 64,65 El Camino pops up behind me its got this big cowl induction hood and sounds like its had some work done to the thing. Im thinking maybe its all looks, so its following me around town then we finally meet up at a light but theirs two cars in front of us, I was waiting for him to drop me a rev but he didn't. So I took the initiative to get on it in first gear and thats all it took. He punches it but theirs no where for us to go. So I turn onto another two lane street and as soon as were both on the street he switches into the next lane and starts to open her up and at the same time so do I(in 2nd gear). Were going but he had more of an advantage since I didn't get on it on time and he starts to pull on me. When it comes time to drop it into third theirs a van in front of me so that ended that run. I pull up next to him and he tells me he thinks my cars bad *** and wants to run again So I agree. I'm thinking to myself damn I just got owned by an El Camino. We turn around on the same street and go from about a 25mph roll. Im in 2nd and pull up next to him he gives three honks and were off WOT. Were dead even for the first second or two then I slowly started inching away. When It comes time to shift into third I miss my shift and he rolls right by my. I catch up to him down the street and hes like "man what happened you had me" I knew I had him to we just gave each other thumbs up. I didn't get a chance to ask what he had done to his car since he pulled off on side street shortly after .Sorry for the long post.

By the way the was my first race in my Camaro talk about the adrenaline flowing, and Ive only been driving it for about 2weeks bone stock any shifting tips would help. Such as what gear to be in at certain speeds.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:15 PM

Re: Run in with El Camino

in second gear going 25mph.....maybe you should have started in first and pulled that car right away and never looked back
Old 10-17-2004, 10:18 PM

Something ive seen my friends do when their new to running from a roll ...

***YOU NEED TO GIVE IT GAS if your downshifting enough that it will throw you above 3500RPM's ... Otherwise, it will jar the **** out of you/thecar, and the RPM's will drop, itll slow you down, it kills the point of downshifting ... Floor it the SECOND you letthe clutch back out ...

If your shifting fast, dont push the pedal to the floor, just enough to fully disengage ... and if your shifting 2nd-3rd, dont be afraid to push the shifter to the RIGHT some ... its better when your learning to go 2nd>5th, than 2nd>1st ...Ive yet to do this ....

One thing I did do twice though when I was first getting used to shifting fast, is id let the clutch out before it was all the way into the next gear ...

To shift fast, try this ... After you go WOT, apply pressure to the shifter, ( Example, your in 1st, floor it, as it builds RPM, apply pressure to the shifter downward, to shift into 2nd ... then as you you get to redline, (I shift at 5800ish if im racing ) stab the shifter with your foot fast, and firm, it will glide into 2nd without any effort at all, and once you feel it coming past the Nuetral point ( Between first and second ) Start to let the clutch back out ... By the time it is back out all the way, youll have been fully into the next gear and ready to roll again ... Also, dont fully let off the throttle, in between shifts I drop to about half throttle, enough to keep the RPMs up, but not enough to bounce off the limiter ... If your shifting at 5800ish, on the stock rev limiter, I think powershifting is undoable without hitting the limiter ... so I go to about half throttle to shift ... I never seem to loose much time in between shifts ... Ive yet to get my car to the track though ...

For launching an M^ on street tires, dont get it to a certain RPM and dump it, but rather, hold it at 2500ish, and start to feed the clutch while progressively fiving it more gas, once you reach around 3000-3200ish, the clutch should be out fully, ( You only really ride the clutch for about a second and a half or so ... The first few carlengths ) and you WONT bog it ... Practice for a while till you can get it right with minimal wheel spin, however, be advised, if you do this frequently the clutch will be gone in no time ... I think alot of it has to do with whetehr the clutch is already hot or not, but im not a drive train expert so I wouldnt know. It seems like it owuld wear worse though if you did this launching 5 times in a row than 5 times, spread out over time, alowing it to cool down ...

Anyways, good run, sounded fun ... and once you learn to shift that thing fast/hard without killin the vehicle, you'll lay the smack down on that Camino ...

Anyhthing can happen on the street.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:25 PM

Also ...

If your speed is

<35, 1st Gear
<55, 2nd Gear
<75, 3rd Gear
<100 4th Gear

However, I only threw it into 4th from a roll one time when I was going 9XMph ... So I dont know how much higher you could go, I never really paid attention ... And those are estimates of what gear to toss it into ... I never payed super close attention to that either, I just kind of have afeel for how high of an RPM I can drop it into a lower gear at, those should give you some ballparkish estimates though, and I KNOW that the speeds posted are NOT high enough to cause an overrev situation, or even close to it, if you have stock rear end gears, most likely 3.42's since its a M6
Old 10-18-2004, 09:55 AM

Good race ! Where are you from ? I love hearing about old muscle VS new muscle! And your car is definately considered muscle ! LOL Once you get the speed shifting down, you'll gain alot of ET which will help in your racing!

I don't drive my Chevelle on the street much and I miss the stop light racing I used to do not long ago. I just catch up with the racing when I go to the track.

Heavy

good kill