V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Cooling Fans Won't Kick On!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Cooling Fans Won't Kick On!

First off the car is a '96 Firebird 3.8, Auto.

Now, I've done a couple of searches and turned up empty handed...my problem is as stated neither fan will come on unless you turn on the A/C and then the fans will only come on low speed.

We have replaced the coolant temperature sensor, and checked the relays and both motors to make sure that they will come on both speeds everything functions correctly.

I have looked for a wiring diagram and keep coming up with them showing the coolant temp. sensor as having only 2 wires a yellow and black...the sensor on the vehicle has 3 wires...a yellow, green, and black. The yellow has approx. 4.9 volts with KOEO, the green has 12v, and the black 15v(unsure of this reading still, but known to be a ground).

If someone might shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated...also the car was overheated on several occasions the last time resulting in the car shutting down. We do not have access to a scantool right now, so we hooked tapped into the wiring coming off the cool. temp. sensor and our gauge shows the temp to be around 185 deg. while the gauge inside shows 215 deg, when we hooked up our gauge the highspeed fans immediately started running, but you could unhook the gauge they would immediately shutdown again.

Sorry such a long post just wanted to make sure I gave all the info. I could.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 PM

as a temporary measure, i'd rig the fans up to a switch so you can manually turn them on or off, at least that way the car will be drivable without the risk of overheating. if the fan motor was jamming then it would probably melt the wiring like it did in my firebird, and also wouldn't come on at all. my first guess would have been the sensor from the radiator, and relays, but you've done that already.

Peter