V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

midas sucks ass

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 10:54 AM

Post midas sucks ***

So I bring my flowmaster (80 series) to midas to get it installed the conversation is as follows:

dumbass: It won't fit, its for a V8.

me: I know of quite a few people that have this exact same muffler on a V6.

dumbass: Nope, your exhaust piping is 2.25 inches the inlet on this muffler is 3 inches.

me: can't you just put a reducer on the inlet?

dumbass: (rolling his eyes) we don't have a reducer that goes from 3 to 2.25 inches.

me: can you order one or something?

dumbass: no they don't make them.

me: so there is nothing you can do to make this muffler fit?

dumbass: no its the wrong kind.

then he goes on to tell me about how I can spend $280 on a ravin cat-back and that will give me dual exhaust and a better sound.

What should I do? I know there are a lot of V6 guys with a flowmaster 80 series, where did you guys get yours installed? Should I just try another muffler shop?

------------------
-Jeff
1993 Camaro [NEW PICS]-3.4 A4, Metallic Dark Gray, T-Tops
Mods:
K&N Filtercharger,!air silencer,AC Rapidfire plugs,Borg-Warner Select wires,Prime Five Spoke Alloys,Sony Xplod CA650X head unit,Xplod speakers.
Flowmaster is in the mail...
Old 09-07-2002, 11:40 AM

Well I did mine (except I had the tail pipes and the hanger welded in). Just go to like napa or some auto parts place and bring the muffler. Im sure that they can hook you up. **** midas.....they just wanted you to buy parts from them....I think they make more money in parts!!!
Old 09-07-2002, 11:59 AM

Screw midas, meineke, etc. Take your car to a independent muffler shop.

------------------
2K BIRD 3.8 A4 (Stock 3.42 Gears & LSD)
With Intake, Exhaust And Suspension Mods.
MOFBA & FAStLouis Member...14.9 @ 89

FbodyV6.com..............FirebirdV6.com

[This message has been edited by shortdog273 (edited September 07, 2002).]
Old 09-07-2002, 12:14 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shortdog273:

</font>
I actually thought that and took it to an independent muffler and exhaust shop and they ****ed up real bad. Then I took my car to Meineke and they did an awsome job on my headers . And I havent had no problems . Meineke specializes in exhaust and muffler work.

------------------
94 3.4L Camaro A4
Performance Mods: Rksport Headers , Borla Exhaust , Moroso CAI .

Appearance Mods: Zroc Big block (stinger) hood , RS 3 piece spoiler.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:03 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shortdog273:

</font>
I am gonna hafta agree with shortdog on this one. True you run the risk of having your exhaust messed up, but some of the BEST mechanics I have ever met do not work for Midas, Meineke etc. These guys work for themselves and they have no huge logo to fall back on. Unless they do good work they don't eat plain and simple.

------------------
If you own a V6 Camaro or Firebird you need to be here!

http://www.fbodyv6.com/index.php
Old 09-07-2002, 08:51 PM

quick knowledge - Meineke's are all independently owned. So some places might be good and some will have idiots working there. I don't know about Midas, but I do know that they wanted to charge me $300 for new shocks without ever looking at my car (which I didnt need by the way). Figure that out. Anyway - I do agree about small shops being great for deals and great mechanics. I found a local guy with a one garage bay shop and purchased my Flowmaster from him and had it installed with tips for $140. A KILLER DEAL!! And my car looks and sounds great. Check my pics in the sig. Just Check the Yellow Pages for small shops.

------------------
"Because who really wants to be normal anyway."
1998 Camaro 3.8 V6
Sebring Silver
Whisper lid
Flowmaster dual exhaust
Chrome tips
-check link for pics-
http://community.webshots.com/user/ccasper420
Old 09-07-2002, 10:47 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by casper 420:
quick knowledge - Meineke's are all independently owned. So some places might be good and some will have idiots working there. I don't know about Midas, but I do know that they wanted to charge me $300 for new shocks without ever looking at my car (which I didnt need by the way). Figure that out. Anyway - I do agree about small shops being great for deals and great mechanics. I found a local guy with a one garage bay shop and purchased my Flowmaster from him and had it installed with tips for $140. A KILLER DEAL!! And my car looks and sounds great. Check my pics in the sig. Just Check the Yellow Pages for small shops.

</font>

Midas in independently owned....hmm didn't know that

Just another FYI that was a really good deal for $140. My uncle is a independent and we traded a muffler for some stuff I was given, but I saw his receipt and a 40 series muffler(flowmaster) was right at $70-80.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:59 PM

When I went to Midas they told me the same thing. After I told them how much of a bunch of fools they were, the manager came out and said that they can fabricate a reducer of 3" to 2.25". I just laughed. So i went to auto zone and bought one for 3.00 and took it to a guy at a fabrication shop down the street. He welded it on for 15.00 and i bolted it on the car.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:41 PM

Midas, meineke, they're all lazy. They will try to charge you an arm and a leg for nothing.

------------------
2K BIRD 3.8 A4 (Stock 3.42 Gears And LSD),
With Intake, Exhaust And Suspension Mods...
MOFBA & FAStLouis Member....My Timeslip

FbodyV6.com................FirebirdV6.com
Old 09-08-2002, 11:23 PM

they are so lucky you arent me. i woulda rubbed it in their faces, bought teh reducer at autozone, taken it with me to midas, asked the manager to come back out, be like, i just bought this at autozone for 3.00. why will i ever come here again. have a nice day loser.

then i woulda left by leaving a nice rubber mark on their driveway.

**** big name shops. i know never to trust them again after my dealing with both a sears auto center (my mom took her car there even tho i told her not to and to go to somewhere else) and Coast Motor Supply. who, just fyi, suck in general, and can **** me.

anyway...

-R
Old 09-09-2002, 07:11 AM

Hehe wanna find something hard?

try finding a 2.75in-2.5in. reducer, I think no one makes them, funny I went to a meinek and asked if he coudl amek me one, he said sure no problem, if my machine wasn't brken, so he sent me to his other meineke store and said they can do it, I jsut haven't gotten around to it. Guy seemed pretty cool.

Mdas, Menike, Firestone all are independently owned, its kinda like Mcdoanlds, all one corporation but in relaity they are just privately owned comapines shared with several corporations. Learned that the hard way after a Firestone closed down that bothced up some AC work, did some fighting kicking and screaming to get it covered by the guys brother a hour drive away.

------------------
-Eric
1994 Medium Quaser Blue Camaro 3.4L V6 w/ 5-speed
Stock blocked, boltons only.
15.696@86.22 with a 2.214 60'!
Best R/T .507 Best 60' 2.078

Father's Stock 2000 Navy Blue Camaro 3.8L V6 w/ 5-speed
15.875@88.25 With wheel spin in 1st
3.4L F-body where 15s are fast....
www.fbodyv6.com
www.firebirdv6.com
www.camaroz28.com
AIM: MustangEater82
Old 09-10-2002, 04:29 AM

Thumbs up

I had my muffler guy, local, independant put the factory muffler off of my 97 Z-28(which i replaced with a flowmaster) on my sons 85 2.8 camaro. Bout 45 mins and 50 bucks..welded and chrome tips. He didnt even bat an eye..Hmmm

------------------
Black 97 Z28 m6: Granitelli MAF, BBK headers, Functional SS Ram Air Hood, Vortech polished elbow,Chrome ZR Wheels
96 3800, !cat, ram air, B&M Shiftkit 97 5 star custom painted wheels
Old 09-12-2002, 04:58 PM

I went to midus once and they wanted $80 to install a cutout, i was stupid and let them do it, so they gave a 16 year old a welder and he did a slop *** job, i refused to pay for it, they redid it, made it better then the nex thing i know these jack *** kids are playing with my throttle cable reving my engine up to 4000 f'ing

I'll never go back!

so i talked my friend into going to a smaller shop, they only charged $45, which is resonable and they did a great job on the welding.

[This message has been edited by WhoBetter? (edited September 12, 2002).]
Old 09-16-2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by MustangEater82
Mdas, Menike, Firestone all are independently owned, its kinda like Mcdoanlds, all one corporation but in relaity they are just privately owned comapines shared with several corporations.
What you are referring to is called franchising. The big corporation owns the name and all other proprietary info and then sells, or actually leases, it long terms basis to individual franchisees (individuals or corporations) who then run the business following the big company's guidelines, rules and regulations.

BTW, not all Mickey D's are franchised. Some of them are corporate owned. Just like Firestone, GY, Midas, Mineke etc.

Later!

TS
Old 09-17-2002, 07:33 PM

Hey man, exchange your 80 series Flowmaster for a 40 series Flowmaster. The 40 series has better louder sound to it than the 80 series. Dont get the Raven system that Midas offers because I've heard it sux. I had the 40 series Flowmaster on my 2001 Firebird for a year and recently took it off and put a Borla 3 inch adjustable cat-back system on it. I can tell the difference in gains and sound with the Borla. Borla makes mine sound similar to a V8. Hope this helps you out man.