V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

The upcoming 200k mile time to tune help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM

The upcoming 200k mile time to tune help

Ok so as in the title.. im approaching 200k miles..

I have a 1996 camaro v6 with auto trans.
I have 198,800 miles on it currently. Almost got rid of it as I almost had a way better paying job.. but since I didnt get it.. need to keep the car..

so I need recommendations on what to put on the car and the best place to buy them. I only say that as I posted that I replaced my MAF sensor and was told I could get a cheaper one elsewhere.. instead of autozone...

car went through inspection and boy was I nervous... I cleared the codes before I got there... as my check engine light was on.... another MAF gone bad... 5 in 12 months... got them replaced under warranty but that is now over... so need a new one... the ones I was getting were remans which suck...
got through inspection and passed.. so im good for 2 more years (and 2 miles down the road my check engine light came back on!!!!!)

MAF
so the link I was given for the MAF was
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5128

I see reman on there too.. which should I get? or just go to the stealership and get a new one?

Oil Leak
The only real problem I have with the car is a nasty oil leak.
I cant figure it out and neither can 2 mechanics (haveing trouble finding a good mechanic anymore for the stuff that I dont do)
I replaced the valve cover gaskets thinking it maybe them and they are easier to change... however the front/lower part of the motor is oily and it leaks back coating the entire bottom of the engine/car so hard to find...
im thinking to change the oil pan gasket.
Any recommendations on what else could be leaking with me giving a vauge description???

Suspension
Ok so with me driving this car to work and back it is just fine, however add 1 person to the car... wether it be an adult or a kid... I bottom out hard on some bumps...
I figure time for shocks all the way around. Replace springs too? or no?
would cheap shocks suffice? or should I go with a specific all around performance brand? as I dont race or do anything with this car but daily driving.

Rear Stabalizer
Ok so I just noticed when I replaced my fuel pump that my drivers side sway bar is missing the rod and bushings... yes the entire thing is missing...
anyone know of a complete kit? or just go to autozone?

Turn Signals
When I put my turn signal on left and make a left, the signal stays on. What part could do that? It is ok when I turn right as the turn signal turns off

Air conditioning
I tried filling it with oil and r34a (or whatever the replacement stuff is as i forget) and it all was good but by the next morning the air was nice and hot. The black dye in the oil wasnt noticeable (but im ***-uming I should use a black light to see it? or a certain light?)

Misc
this is stupid and really not a biggie but now my drivers side window does not go down all by itself anymore.... what controls that?

all in all yes this list seems pretty big, however all I have done to this car is :
plugs and wires at 100k and 175k
3 coils
2 water pumps
fuel pump
battery
both window motors
drivers side window switches

im also trying to decide if putting money into this is car is worth it or just keep driving it into the ground.

I still havent checked the balljoints, tierods and that kind of stuff.