V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

v6 trembling...need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 04:25 PM

v6 trembling...need help

98 3.8 a4 43K
started it up today, drove about a mile then the car suddenly started trembling.
I put it in nuetral and it revs fine up and down/ but when its in drive it trembles if i apply around 2,000 -2,500 rpm the check engine light was flashing, now it is consistantly on.
before i take it to get plugged in ($50 down the drain), anyone know what the problem could be?
thanks
joe
Old 05-28-2003, 04:46 PM

take it to auto-zone and get checked for codes, and will take it from there, it could be anything.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:43 PM

try this

mine does it too, dunno what it is, i noticed it does it around 2000 or so RPM, but when i back off the gas it stops, then when it hits 2000 again it does it again, i quit driving in Overdrive, and now i drive in just Drive and it doesnt do it, i think its something with the overdrive part of the transmission, try drivin in drive and see if it still does it, post back as im tryin to figure out what it is too
Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 PM

Re: try this

Originally posted by Snoman73
mine does it too, dunno what it is, i noticed it does it around 2000 or so RPM, but when i back off the gas it stops, then when it hits 2000 again it does it again, i quit driving in Overdrive, and now i drive in just Drive and it doesnt do it, i think its something with the overdrive part of the transmission, try drivin in drive and see if it still does it, post back as im tryin to figure out what it is too
i took it to the shop a few hours ago to get it diagnosed ill let you know tomroow
Old 05-28-2003, 10:05 PM

I have replaced the harmonic balancer, fuel pump, shift solenoids; So I might be able to give you a hand.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:21 PM

really? did u have this same problem? did replacing that stuff fix it? if i can save from doing a tranny overhaul then ill do it, i cant do this stuff myself, but i know a shop i could take it to and if i know whats wrong i can just have him fix that and save money,
Old 05-28-2003, 10:29 PM

My 93 did that. It was because I had a broken mount. Anytime it was in park, it would do that. Under load it would start to tremble or if I was at a stop light.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:48 PM

these were separate incidents;

the harmonic balancer made it shake like hell at low RPM, and the shift solenoid kept me from changing gears properly. they wanted $115 for replacing a single shift solenoid (they are 2 ( A and B )) and this is in El Paso TX, and this sort of work is kinda cheap around here.

take it to auto-zone (or to your place of choice) and have it scanned. we'll take it from there.

I don't think a broken/busted mount would give you a SES light.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:23 PM

i had a new mount or bracket or whatever replaced bout a year ago, so i know its not that, this problem has been goin on ever since i had the car, when accelerating and it hits about 2000 or so RPM, itll vibrate, the whole car, then when i back off the gas, it stops, then if i get on it hard and push thru 2000 and farther it wont do it, only when im cruisin and get to that point does it do it, how much is a new harmonic balancer
Old 05-28-2003, 11:39 PM

I honestly don't think it is any of those probs...

I'll put money on it being either a spark plug or spark plug wire problem. Maybe a coil, but I doubt it. Sounds like a simple misfire...

Flashing SES means a misfire...solid SES means no misfire, but it is stored so now you can have the code scanned. Take it to AutoZone or find someone with a scanner. AutoZone will do it for free so you don't have to hand the dealership $50.

I've got money on it being "misfire on cylinder#X".
Old 05-29-2003, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by ImportKILLER
I honestly don't think it is any of those probs...

I'll put money on it being either a spark plug or spark plug wire problem. Maybe a coil, but I doubt it. Sounds like a simple misfire...

Flashing SES means a misfire...solid SES means no misfire, but it is stored so now you can have the code scanned. Take it to AutoZone or find someone with a scanner. AutoZone will do it for free so you don't have to hand the dealership $50.

I've got money on it being "misfire on cylinder#X".
My money's on ImportKILLER...

If it's not having any problems in neutral when you rev the engine it's probably because there's not a load on the engine. Once you put it in gear and gas it, your putting a load on the engine which can cause a misfire. I had the same problem about a month ago. Turned out I had to replace the plug wires and ignition coils.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:30 PM

i have a 3.4 95 v6 and i want to replace my plugs and wires with something better than stock, any suggestions? i plan on doing a full exhaust upgrade this summer as well as CAI. Also i want to replace the coils as well. Keep in mind this is a daily driver and i just want performance that is better than stock, what do you guys recommend? and where do i get it? pricing? thanks a bunch im gonna try all this stuff before i go and have the tranny looked at
Old 05-31-2003, 04:02 PM

thats for the replys
it ended up being misfire in the #4 cylinder. I tried to replace the spark plugs and after 3 hours i only got 4 out, couldnt get #4 or #6. how have you guys gotten them out, the others were very difficult but thoese seamed imposible with the tools i have. The problem is now i dont think a shop is going to only install 2 spark plugs for me...any suggestions?